Author Topic: witnesses on marriage certificates  (Read 2809 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: witnesses on marriage certificates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 July 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
I once found the maiden name of a wife through one of the lodgers who turned out to be her younger brother, so yes never forget boarders and lodgers.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 July 06 22:05 BST (UK) »
I am sure there is another thread along this subject - but it can never be stressed enough - ALWAYS record EVERYTHING!!!

Something seemingly unimportant can, at a later date, suddenly become the vital piece of information that proves someone fits in somewhere!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dustfairy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 July 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice and information.  I do tend to make a note of everything.  Boarders and lodgers and visitors on census records, on a lot of my census these people have eventually become related to the family they were staying with.  As for the witnesses on the certificates of marriage, there are quite a few who I don't know who they are.  Tried looking a few of them on the census but as yet they haven't clicked into place.  As for the death certificates, which I know hold alot of information, I find death dates the hardest to locate. as you have a bigger year span to search.  It becomes a expensive hobby, if you buy every birth, marriage and death certificate for all the family.  I usually just obtain those, for direct grandparents, great grandparents and so on.  Though I do trace  information on their brothers and sisters and who they married and their children.

Janette
Research names: Tate, Gibbeson, Johnson, Watson, Hewitson, Lenton, Rees, Armitage, Copley, Lees, Fitton, Howe, Moody, North, Tiffany

Research areas: Durham, Northumberland, Warwickshire, Huddersfield, Pembrokshire, Kirkburton, Ireland

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk