Author Topic: Millicent/Amelia Fenton-Clareborough  (Read 3780 times)

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Millicent/Amelia Fenton-Clareborough
« on: Friday 30 June 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have recently paid to have access to ancestry.co.uk and have been trying to find further ancesters.  I have one ancester, Millicent Randell (nee Fenton), I know got married in 1846 to John Randell and I can find her in all the census returns as Millicent Randell, I wanted to find her on the 1841 census in the hope that I could discover her parents names, this is where the mystery starts.

I know Millicent was born in 1823/4 in Clareborough Nottinghamshire but there isn't anyone with that name in the 1841 census, the nearest I can find with matching details is Amelia Fenton, do you think this is the same person?  It is a pity this is before the BMD certificates as I could just send off for her birth cert. (although I'd need her name of course) the marriage index I have found has her as Millicent.

Is there any other website I could search through to try and find her birth name, I am unable to go to the records office as I live in Norfolk and travelling is impossible at the moment, so I really need it to be online.  If anyone has any sites to recommend looking through I would be very grateful.
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Millicent/Amelia Fenton-Clareborough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 June 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Marriage: Clarborough

17.3.1846 John Randell & Millicent Fenton

NFHS CD

Unfortunately they have not transcribed the Baptisms or Burials yet.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 June 06 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.  I hadn't got a date for their marriage just a quarter so that is very useful.  I've just had a thought if I ordered their marriage cert. that would have her fathers name on and I could see if it is the same as Amelia's father-not firm proof but it would be a start.

Thanks again :D
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 June 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Nottm archives have a book with name variations in it. So for every first name there are up to 10 variations. I have emailed them for the variations of Millicent.

I will be going to the archives soon so I can look up the PR for you.

The marriage is East Retford 15 687.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 July 06 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jane, I really appreciate your offer of looking up the PR for me it will hopefully help me on my way to finding her parents, and for sending the email concerning name variations-I didn't realise Millicent could possibly have so many variations.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I was wondering whether you'd heard back about the name variations yet.  I hope they do find some variations as it would help me along no end-especially if Amelia was one of them ;D

Thanks again for all your help in this matter.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry. I got a reply quite swiftly.

" According to First Name Variants by Alan Bardley (Federation of Family History Societies (Publications) Ltd, 1996) ISBN 1-86006024-2 the forename Millicent has many alternatives. These include:
Melesina, Meleta, Melicent, Melissa, Melita, Melitta, Mellicent, Mellie, Mellissa, Melusine, Milicent, Milison, Mille, Millecent, Millecente, Millesent, Milleson, Milley, Millicent, Millicenth, Millicentiae, Millie, Millison, Milly, and Missy.
Â
We hope that this information is helpful. "

Unfortunately Amelia was not one of them. But I still would not rule it out.

Did you order the marriage certificate? As it is after 1837 it should have the father on. I cannot remember if I looked up the PR for you as I have looked up so many things for Rootchatter recently. If not get back to me as I may be going on Tuesday after work, I could also check Amelia in the name book.

I cannot tell from your profile where you are. Are you in England but not in Nottm? Or are you in Oz or NZ?

Jane

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
I've only just seen this thread or I would have replied earlier.

My 3x great grandmother was born in the late 18th century in Staffordshire and died aged about 90 in 1876, in Surrey. So only 1 possible civil registration certificate for her - her death.  On all the records of baptism for her children, marriage (in 1820) and for all census 1841 - 1871, she was Amelia.  But initially I could not find her death certificate or her burial in the parish records where she had lived for over 50 years.  However there was an odd burial of an aged female with the correct surname, whom I knew must be connected to the family since there was a note of her death in a small birthday book.  This was Millicent.  I finally sent for the death certificate and a couple of years later found the memorial inscription, both Millicent.  The clincher was the fact that she was buried with her husband - correct name for the one married to Amelia!  It took several years for me to get this far.  I have also found a possible baptism for a Millicent in Staffodshire in the right time frame.

I have since found in a name book that I have that Amelia is considered to be a variant of Millicent.

So in short, yes - could be the same person!  :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I'm in Norfolk so can't get to the PR office in Nottingham very well at the moment as I have a 3 year old.

No you haven't mentioned anything about having looked in the PR yet, I didn't like to ask as you are doing this voluntarily and you do have your own life to lead as well it didn't seem right to keep pestering you, I hope you didn't mind me asking the question about the email.

Thanks again for the offer it would be good if you have the time to check for me.

Sarah