Author Topic: Who Goes with Who?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Who Goes with Who?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 July 06 04:34 BST (UK) »
That is interesting, Pinetree!!  And must be quite rare, I think.  I am sure your explanation must be right.

Could it also be that the wife and her first husband had bought a plot with room for several graves, that when the little ones died they were a bit hard up and rather than forking out money for another grave, they decided to bury them with the first husband?  (But your explanation would still hold, also.)

Where was the wife buried?  With husband 1 or 2?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 July 06 06:52 BST (UK) »
Even with out the headstones they should be on a burial record surely. I have been able to find most of mine on burial records.

Sharon

Sharon, I've found most of mine on burial records too, but it would be nice nevertheless to have a physical reminder of them.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 July 06 09:11 BST (UK) »

Could it also be that the wife and her first husband had bought a plot with room for several graves.

Where was the wife buried? With husband 1 or 2?

MarieC

It certainly was quite a large plot - the headstone is engraved on both sides which is something I've not come across before and nearly made me miss half the names  :o

There are 7 people in total 3 adults and 4 children:

First husband
Daughter of first marriage age 9
2 children of second marriage age 1 and 5

Then on the other side

Son of second marriage and his wife and their daughter age 4.

The widow and her second husband are in their own plot nearby.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 July 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting, Pinetree!!!  Even the adult son of the second marriage, buried in that grave!  There must be a really good story there somewhere!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 July 06 07:24 BST (UK) »
That reminds me of a graveyard I visited last winter, trying to find some ancestors.  There were 3 large plots of a family, I think they were 3 brothers buried with wives and children all next to each other. 

I remember thinking it was a bit odd considering they were all farmers, that they all had such large graves together.  Must have been either influential or they saved their money hard to be buried together when they went.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Paul E

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
I was lucky to find a gravestone for an ancestor buried in the 1850's that was erected by his son (my direct ancestor's brother) who had 'made good' in South Africa and had paid for the headstone.  Otherwise, I think he would have been as anonymous as all the other ag labs in my tree! :)

Paul

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
I have found a few and when I do I find it very moving.  I found one recently of my 5x gr grandmother who died in 1855 who had a headstone.  She was buried without her husband though, he had died a lot earlier than her and I don't know where he is buried.

Kerry