Author Topic: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE  (Read 6855 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, no dice without the O' either. 

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi All!
I was visiting my friend in NYC recently. I used this opportunity to pop in the Archives to get a death certificate which I was certain is on my grandfather's "unknown" sister. It turned out to be her! She was buried in Calvary Cemetery.
I went there and got a kind help from the gentleman with looking up in the records. But it was close to the closing time. I had to leave it with him as he could not find her right away due to the surname constantly "changed." I even told him that I think she was buried with her grandparents--I gave him their names.He e-mailed to me next day with the information which my hunch was spot on.My grandfather's sister was buried with her grandparents and her aunt!I am chuffed because it saved me from having to go through all the possible death certificates.
It turned out that Patrick O'Shaughnessy died in 1893 but his wife Bridget was much alive until her death in 1905 in Brooklyn. She had an address on the cemetery records. DeGraw Street in Brooklyn. Wondering if we could try again and locate her in Brooklyn.
Do anyone has an access to 1905 New York Census (particularly on Brooklyn)??
Kind regards,
Tees

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Glad you were able to make some progress! 

The 1905 Census is on the Family Search list of indexing projects.  https://www.familysearchindexing.org/projects/current_projects.jsf  I'm not sure, but I hope that means we'll have online access to it in the future.

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What was the address on DeGraw Street?

1898 CD
Shaughness, Chas E opr h 689 DeGraw

1892 CD
Shaghnessy Jos oiler h 62 DeGraw
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks for your encouraging words, Shellyesq! It was a lovely surprise to find so many people at same time.

Ohio Susan, she put down her address as 625 DeGraw St. I am not sure if it means her address prior to her death or it was the actual address that she was living at the time of her husband's death.

You see, the only NYC death certificate I could find is in Manhattan is for Patrick. I think the family was still living in Manhattan unless I am mistaken.

Bridget's certificate is from Brooklyn. I would have to send for both certificates which is a bit expensive by the mail, not in person.

Wondering if this Jos is mine??

Hope this further information helps you.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Am I labouring under the assumption that it's better to send for the death certificates to help us to find my ancestors?

By the way, I managed to find out that my Great-Grandfather's sister was living in Brooklyn in 1900 Census via her burial record.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any marriage record on her--just to confirm if the family is correct one or not.

This seems to indicate that the family may have left Manhattan sometimes after Patrick O'Shaughnessy died?

I only have a question: I found the death record on him but the date stated that he died on 4th yet the burial record shows he was buried on 20th?? Does that mean they have a mortuary back in 1893??

I am not sure if the death record is the ONE I am seeking because of many days between his death and burial.

His poor wife Bridget just purchased the plot three days before his burial.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Tees, I haven't read your thread closely enough to determine if he was buried in the state of New York and in which month he was buried, but these are three reasons I've come across:

Winter Weather:  I've not come across this situation personally, but a few friends have told me about delays with their ancestors' burials due to the ground being too hard to dig during a particularly cold winter spell.

Rainy Weather:  once again, a friend told me, there was a delay in her relative's burial, due to extreme rain conditions.  It delayed the process for a couple of weeks.

More recent burials:  one friend told me the cemetery workers were on strike, so there was a delay in burials!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
Lisa,

Thank you for taking time to answer my query regarding a delay in the burial.

I never thought about the weather as a culprit!

It was April. It may be a very wet weather? Think it will require some research through old newspapers from that year to see what the weather was.

I guess I will go ahead and order that death certificate then.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 April 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Could anyone kindly help me with spotting Bridget O'Shaughnessy and her son Joseph in 1900 US Census?

I managed to find his sister Laura Nann in 1900 US Census via the cemetery record with her married name. But her husband and children mysteriously disappeared after that. They were in Brooklyn, NY.

That seems to tell us that that the family does remain in Brooklyn.

I still have much trouble in finding Bridget and Joseph.

I am fairly certain that they are in somewhere near or on DeGraw Street.

How do I go about and see people on this particular street in 1900 US Census?

I managed to find a Patrick O'Shaughnessy in 1892/3 city directory where he was listed as a cooper. I am not sure if it is him.

I hope someone would kindly lend me an assisting hand with finding this family.

Thank you very much in advance,

Tees