Author Topic: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 August 06 00:55 BST (UK) »

http://members.tripod.com/genealogy_by_judi/1900ward.html

looks like Liberty St is in Ward 1 and 2
Susan
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 August 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

I already accessed to my Ancestry account. :)

Thanks for your trouble.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi again,

Still have some trouble with finding my O'Shaughnessys in 1900 US Census. I tried to use the LDS' new census records but could not make any sense of their searches.

The update is that I managed to find a birth record & baptism record on Joseph O'Shaughnessy using the information off the censuses and the marriage record and the death certificate.

The information on the baptism record correctly tied in with the information I have on him from other documents in my possessions. I was able to confirm the birth record that Susan found for me was his despite the fact that his surname and his mother's maiden name were off the mark. :)

Susan--heaps of thanks being sent your way and my cap is off to you for guessing correctly that two birth records you found are my family. :)

So it looks I have a right guy now.

I still would like to know where he was in 1900 and same with his parents.

Any helpful suggestion?? I simply need to narrow down the years I would have to search for his parents' death records if they were ever recorded.

Still optimistic about finding this family in 1900 US Census. :)

Kind regards,

Tees

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Have you tried to find them in city directories?  I didn't have any luck with finding them with the 1890 one on Ancestry, but there may be some from that time frame available through the Family History Centers. 

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Shellyesq,

1890 US Censuses were pretty destroyed in the fire and very little reminded. But New York and Louisania censuses are amongst the censuses destroyed in the fire.

I am much interested in 1900 US Census. The only trouble with this family is that their surname consistently mistranscribed throughout the censuses.

I am pretty certain they are still in NY for my great grandfather got married in Brooklyn in 1902 and had a family with his Irish-born wife. They are my Grandfather's parents.

As to the city directories, how one can identify a person as yours? Unless your ancestors pretty stayed in same place, it is a good tool--that's my position on using city directories. If there is online databases, I will be happy to search them but many are paysites. I had spent fortunes on many databases. Need to cut back on expenses. :)

With this family, they may have moved around between 1880 Census and 1900 Census. For instance, in 1880, the family was in Manhattan and in 1870, they were in New Orleans, LA.

This family is a bit troublesome because my Great Grandfather may be only one male sibling. It would be great if we find that he had younger male sibling or two in 1900 Census which will enable me to track them down. But all of his known siblings were female.

Vital records are strangest part of this family because for an example, my Great Grandfather was named Patrick on his birth record yet his baptism record shows his name as Henry Joseph! It seems he was originally named after his Father but for some reasons his parents changed their mind by baptising him under new names! It is same with his siblings.

Luckily, the baptism record does have his birth date which match up with his birth record. The parentage were confirmed by his marriage record.

I am trying to determine whether his parents died in New York City or not because it seems that Great Grandfather married and settled down in Brooklyn.

I know his Father was a cooper and was consistedly recorded on two censuses. This is an useful information to identify in the city directories but you cannot truly confirm that it is yours if the name is common like his.

I have tried searched the death records on his parents especially his Father--none of them shows his occupation as a cooper. It makes me think that he probably was not actually a cooper at all. Yet 1870 US Census shows that he is somewhat "prosperous" and not sure if 1880 US Census shows the same information (will double-check this information). How accurate the information is my question.

Too bad that early NYC death records does not list an informant--they were always a doctor. This is very difficult to determine which record is my Great Grandfather's parent's.

If there is a family plot, it would be great as it will pinpoint which record is correct. I do not know where his parents were buried.

Even more is that I still could not find my Great-Grandparents' firstborn's birth record nor death record. I have the baptism record of their first child whom my Mother never knew about. It was confirmed by two birth records on my Grandfather and his "eldest" sister where they asked how many children are in the family. It seems the parents named a firstborn Angela which was recorded in 1905 NYC Census whereas the baptism record shows different names.

I hope this does not put anyone off but I am illustrating my difficulties with this family.

Kind regards,

Tees

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Shellyesq,

1890 US Censuses were pretty destroyed in the fire and very little reminded. But New York and Louisania censuses are amongst the censuses destroyed in the fire.

Yes, I know the 1890 Census was destroyed.  I was referring to the 1890 city directory. 

Sometimes, city directories will have dates of death for a person who died in the last year, so that can be something of a jackpot if you get lucky.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Shellyesq,

Ah, thank you for your clarification. Much appreciated!

Never know that you can find a wee gem of information in the city directories.

Which name did you look up on in 1890 city directory? Just out of curiosity.

I think I did try look up on the city directory on the Ancestry--I am not sure about it.

I have no longer a subscription to the Ancestry.

Perhaps can anyone could tell me how to do search on LDS' 1900 US censuses an easy way without having to use the surname?? I have much trouble with this but it looks promising. Ancestry failed me in 1900 US Censuses but think LDS may have a surprise for me there.

Kind regards,

Tees

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I tried to look for anything starting with Osh or O'sh and nothing remotely close to O'Shaugnessy turned up. 

For the 1900 Census on the LDS site, I would try switching where it says "Exact & close match" to Exact, close, & partial.  That seems to bring things up, even if I don't put in the surname.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Shellyesq,

Aw, thanks for your attempts to look up on this family.

It does not have to be Osh or O'sh because they can be without O' prefix!! My Great Grandfather wrote his last name as a Shaunsgy on his marriage record! Fortunately, for me, his wife's name is correct.

All of the censuses up to 1905 consistently misspelt.

Will take another stab at 1900 US Census on the LDS site. Hope to find my Great Grandfather there.

Kind regards,

Tees