Author Topic: Handwriting help, please  (Read 11855 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting help, please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 July 06 12:44 BST (UK) »
I still think the first name is Daniel Rothwell, but I've changed my mind about the other name - first name does look alot like Jean or maybe Joan  ??? and the surname, I think now, starts with an "H" - compare to "H"ammersmith etc.  Still can't work out what it says, but could it be something like "Healther" or "Hatcher" ? 

A bit more mud for the waters!  ;D

Prue

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 July 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
Looks like Irene Heatherton to me

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline monalisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think it looks like Daniel Rothmaker and Jean Mathews.
Diane.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone :)

I think that for the second surname it begins with a H as in Hammersmith.
That is all I am sure of ;D

If Jean is a scottish name in that time period having a Mc to start the surname would indeed make sense.

Gadget, I will request a look up at the LMA to look at the signature, I just may be lucky that someone is going there.

Pinetree, I might give those people a ring from the website you gave, they just may be able to help, thank you for the details.

I've got a good idea, why don't you just all come round my house and we can mull it over with a cup of tea and cream cakes in the garden ;)

Many thanks
Ewan

Offline monalisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
And can I just add, that Jean was a very common name here in Scotland in the 1800's, so I definately think it's Jean.
Diane.

Offline throckenholt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
carefully compare the writing on the whole certificate - looks like the second surname begins with the same letter as the street they lived in, and the wife's father - H I think.

Also - see how stretched some letters are in the other words - and maye trace it on to a piece of paper - see if you can fill in the gaps - or if something flows right after going over the other words !.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:16 BST (UK) »
Well if the name is Jean there could well be a Scottish connection with Maria, and that is why I am unable to clarify her birthplace.

As for the birthplace, I have on 2 censuses, it has been covered before - Brokeworth in Gloucesterhsire or Brockenhurst in Hampshire.  

Perhaps she was born in Scotland :)

Ewan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:17 BST (UK) »

If Jean is a scottish name in that time period having a Mc to start the surname would indeed make sense.

Gadget, I will request a look up at the LMA to look at the signature, I just may be lucky that someone is going there.

Hi Ewan

As I said many posts ago my 4x (b. 1746), my 3x (b. 1786), and my 2x (b. 1810) great grandmothers and my 2x great aunt (b. 1839) were all bpt. Jean. All were Scottish.

I also think it is probably an 'H' having looked at the 'M' in the second column - maybe the squiggle I though was a 'c' is the loop of the H.

Thanks for invite - but don't like cream cakes.Green tea would be nice though ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
No Maria Lewis born Scotland on the SP site. Sorry.

G
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***