Author Topic: Handwriting help, please  (Read 11856 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting help, please
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I haven't gone awol  ;) I've just run out of ideas.

I keep looking at those 1851 and 71 places of birth and am not 100% convinced that the 71 even begins with a B.  Wondered if it might say Markinch(Scotland)?

If she had a 'funny' accent maybe the enumerator wrote down what he thought he heard.

And yes I too have a 6th sense about her doing the cleaning for 'Uncle' Fred in 41 Ewan.

Or as you suggest working as a servant but lodging with her dad's 'family'.

Now to prove it................!!!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I was concerned about the funny B on the 1871 but i compared it with other Bs on the page.

There are masses of B(r)ockworth and Bankhurst Streets, etc. in London - but no places.

There's something like it in Aberdeenshire. I'll go off to SP and have a look.

Also worth noting that Maria was born just before the end of the Napoleonic wars - just a thought.

Gadget

Added - Nearest I can get is a Mary Ann Lewis or Campbell in Forres, (Abd) bpt 1818. Mother an Ann Campbell, probably illegit. Don't think it'sher though. I'n still convince it's Home Counties

Second addition - I've had another good look at the census pages. It is definitely (HtG - stake my life on it) Brokeworth on the 1851 and Bankhurst on the 1871. Problem is that in neither cases does it say 'do' in the County portion  :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :-\ :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
I'm sure someone has thought of this already, so I apologise in advance if I've not kept up but is it worth looking for the Lewis family Mary Ann was with in 1841 in 1851 - if they are related their places of birth might help.

Pinetree

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:17 BST (UK) »
I'm sure I have ,but am looking again now just incase. Head of house in 1841 is 54 year old Freaderick Lewis and his occupation is 'navy'.
Wife is 35 and they have a 1mth old unnamed baby,as well as older kids. I think he was probably married before.

Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree

Ann or Carol did that on the other thread.  (think it might even be worth merging the two, it's getting a bit awkward jumping between them)  ;)

She could be Frederick's neice or something - I have that in one of my familes - parents die and daughter taken in by relatives as a servant  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

Gadget just asked if it was possible to merge the two threads.

Unfortunately, it would make an incomprehensible mess - the posts in a merged thread are ordered chronologically.

I agree though that you are in danger of duplication.

BUT you needed this thread in order to post images

So

I am going to suggest that you consider this thread locked

and make contributions on the other thread.

If you need to post more images, do so on a new thread , but as always, cross reference them by adding the URL of one to t'other.

All further replies should be on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,176237.0.html

Hope this sorts your dilemma

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)