Author Topic: Ancestral photos  (Read 913 times)

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ancestral photos
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I am looking to set-up a website (it would be a suscribed service) whereby users could submit photographs of ancestors, their businesses and their houses/property etc.

The users would need to own the copyright to all photos before they were submitted and there would be a cut-off date to protect the living.

With a large enough database I was hoping that unknown relatives could contact one another and see perhaps for the first time what other family members looked like. (This happened to me personally when I discovered a previously unknown relative in the USA that had a photo of my great great uncle!)

I am interested in other people's opinions of this along the lines of:
1. Would you use it?
2. Are there too many websites around all trying to do the same thing or would this be something different that you would use etc.?

In many ways this is close to GenesReunited, but I plan to make it photo based with a few facts attached to each photo rather than fact based with the odd photo attached.

I would not be keen to invest so much time in it if people thought it was a bad idea, so your opinions would be nice no matter how truthful!

Regards,
Michelle
Researching family trees since 1985.
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral photos
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
I can't honestly see the point, especially as a pay site.  One could only search it by surname, presumably.  Why pay to put photos up there, with names attached, when one can much more easily put messages on loads of other sites, and swap photos when one does make a connection with someone else.? 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral photos
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
I agree with Suttontrust. Also many of us have or are in the process of developing our own websites where we have control (andcopyright) of our images. I for one would not  allow anyone else to use my collection in this way.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***