Author Topic: 1851 Ayrshire Census Lookup Please.  (Read 4215 times)

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
1851 Ayrshire Census Lookup Please.
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can someone help me with a 1851 Census lookup for this person in the St Quivox, Wallacetown, or Kilmarnock areas, as follows:

JAMES HENDRIE OR HOUDEN, DOB 1821 IRELAND, POB UNKNOWN.

SUSAN CLARK, WIFE OR COMMON LAW, DOB 1821 IRELAND, POB UNKNOWN.

THOMAS HENDRIE OR HOUDEN, SON, DOB 1845, IRELAND POB UNKNOWN.

THOMAS CLARK, STEPSON, DOB 1849, AYR, AYRSHIRE. (POSS GIRVAN)

Thanks in advance, greatly appreciate any help.

Jim.

Hendry,Hendrie,pollock,Bonnar, Bonar, Gallacher, Gallagher.
(Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Ayrshire/Scotland).

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Ayrshire Census Lookup Please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I think I might have found  half of them:

Main St,  Newton on Ayr, St Quivox

GROS Ref  612-00003-00010 

Susan Clark, wid, 30, washerwoman, b. Ireland
Elizabeth, daughte, 9, b. Ayrshire, Newton on Ayr
Thomas, son,3, b. Ayrshire, Newton on Ayr

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

Thanks for that, I must apologise, I've been remiss, I should have remembered that I had this sighting, I've actually been trying to find my G.G.Grandfather, James Hendrie, or Houden as he is recorded on the 1861 Census for Old Monklands, Coatbridge, don't know why the change of surname.

He has put down on another Bth/Cert of his Son william in 1861, that he was married to Susan in St Quivox in 1852, but I cannot trace this on S.P, he does not appear on the 1841 Census on ancestry.co.uk that I have access to for Ayrshire, so I asked for this lookup in 1851 Ayrshire to try and locate him, there are Births of his children in Wallacetown, St Quivox, and Kilmarnock at this time period, so he must have been in the area.

He is one of my brickwalls as I don't know which part of Ireland he came from, as you will know Ireland is tricky if you don't know the Townland or County.

Did you find any reference to him at all? maybe he had'nt reached St Quivox by 1851 and was in another area.

Best Regards.

Hi Jim

I think I might have found  half of them:

Main St,  Newton on Ayr, St Quivox

GROS Ref  612-00003-00010 

Susan Clark, wid, 30, washerwoman, b. Ireland
Elizabeth, daughte, 9, b. Ayrshire, Newton on Ayr
Thomas, son,3, b. Ayrshire, Newton on Ayr

Gadget

Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Houden, Clark, Gallacher, Gallagher, McGuire (Scotland/Ireland)

Westmuckett, Davies, Corbett-Davies, Corbett, Williams, Bevan, Price, (England and Wales)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 06 16:24 BST (UK) »
There's no sign of him with a quick search. Given his various names, he could be under yet another name or have been mistranscribed.

There is a James Hendrie, age 29,in Girvan, cattle dealer but He was born Ayrshire.

I can only suggest that you register with Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and search for him there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

Thanks for searching for me, your help is really appreciated, I'll have to invest a few ££s in S.P, I will try for his children in 1851, you may, and are probably right about mistranslation or another surname, this guys been driving me nuts for a long time, if only his Son had put James's parents names on his Death Cert for 1874 that I have, (section Blank and scored through) I would'nt be in this fix, but then again James has  been such a slippery character, (name change etc) that maybe his son did'nt even know his parentage, ah well....

Best Regards

Jim.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Good luck Jim. I don't expect his son knew his parents.

If it makes you feel any better, it gets worse the further back you go, especially if you are looking for Wilsons in SW Scotland  :( :(

Gadget

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

This is just a long shot, but have you heard about this geneology society, "scottishfamilytreeresearchers" I'm not sure...but I'll check, if there are any resources for Dumfries and Galloway, there is a great deal of Info in other areas for Scottish researchers, also one of their moderators works for GROS, and can do lookups for a small fee, e.g 75p a Cert, if you would like to join let me know, give me your email address I'll get in touch with the moderator and she will probably send you an invite to join.

I'm just going to check if there are resources for that area, will let you know via this site.

Slainte!

Jim.

Offline piccarso

• RootsChat Member
  • Pog Mo Thoin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

I had a quick shuftie through scottishfamilyetc, and there is not much for the SW of Scotland, only one link for the borders: bordersfhs.org.uk, but this has a subsciption of £15.00 or so, there are Wilsons on it though, hope this helps you, let me know if you are still interested in the society.

Slainte!

Jim.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 July 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
hello Jim

I've had another look for Thomas senior and junior and can't find any matches. I'm coming to the conclusion that they might well still be in Ireland.

If I were you I'd have a look at the Ireland board. There should be some guidance there about tracing ancestors in Ireland. It is more difficult but you might strike lucky.

Gadget