Author Topic: McNulty's from Co Monagham  (Read 2544 times)

Offline winterburn60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McNulty's from Co Monagham
« on: Monday 03 July 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
help in finding McNulty's from Ireland.  Thomas G. McNulty born 11 August 1811 in Co. Monaghan...would like to know who his parents were.  He came to America about 1829, this according to his obituary.  He died in November 1890, Oakland Co, Michigan.  His first born son was named James, so maybe I am looking for a James McNulty.  Second born was Mary.  Third born was Thomas and the last born was Martha.   Any help in finding my ancestors is so appreciated.  Thank You   
Tanya

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McNulty's from Co Monagham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tanya,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

What denomination were the McNulty family? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline winterburn60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNulty's from Co Monagham
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 08 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,
  Thank You for your reply and your welcome. 
  Unfortunately I do not know what religion Mr. McNulty was.  Nothing in his obituary pointed to a religion and no family heirlooms that would explain it either. 

Tanya