Author Topic: Thomas of Penygroes, Llanllyfni  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Grandma5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas of Penygroes, Llanllyfni
« on: Monday 03 July 06 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, Seeking assistance in researching g'parents,  Owen Thomas, quarryman, and Anna Williams of Penygroes. Married in 1898, a daughter Elizabeth was born in 1899 and a son Owen, jr. in 1903.  They immigrated to the United States in 1906, settling in a community surrounded by slate quarries employing a great many Welsh workers.

Seek information of their birth families.  Owen was born April 27, 1871.

Anna Williams  of Pawllheli, was born Dec. 18, 1881. She had sisters, Mary and Ellen. A Christmas card was found to "Aunt Annie" from Mr. & Mrs. Jones of Tyn-y-Gate, Fourcrosses, Chwilog dated 1923 which might lead to cousins!  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Wales....Thomas, Williams

Scotland.....Cook, McGinlay

England....Cook, Agger

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas of Penygroes, Llanllyfni
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 July 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
You're really lucky with this one - that's most of the very common Welsh surnames in one query - only Davies missing, but they'll be there somewhere!
This could be the family in 1901 census
4 Bryntirion Terrace, Llanllyfni ref RG13/5268 folio 76 page 9
Owen Thomas head mar 28 slate quarryman b. Llanllyfni
Annie wife 23 b. Pwllheli
Lizzie Mary dau 1 (nothing in pob column)

possible marriage Owen Thomas and Annie Williams on same page registered Caernarvon 2Q 1898 volume 11b page 774. The certificate would give fathers' names and occupations which would help to identify on earlier census entries, so would be very worth getting if you don't already have it.

This looks possible for Annie's family in 1881
Ysgifflon(?), Pwllheli (parish of Denio) RG11/5557 folio 50 pg 24
William Williams head mar 33 carrier b. Pwllheli
Eliza wife 31 b. Aberdaron
Rachel Jones grand mother widow 68 b. Aberdaron
Ellen Williams dau 11 b. Pwllheli
Robert son 6 b. Pwllheli
Anne dau 3 b. Pwllheli
Mary dau 1 b. Pwllheli

can't spot a family that matches this one in the 1891 census. There's a possible for William if wife has died and he has remarried. There's a possible for Anne if she's working as a servant. With such a common surname and no unusual first name, it's not easy.

I'll have another look for Owen when I get a chance, unless someone else finds his first. Hope this helps to start off with.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Grandma5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
Your efforts are greatly appreciated!  Thank you so much!  Annie's death certificates lists parents as Elizabeth Jones and William Williams, so I think you found the family!

Stories were told of Annie working as a servant, so that might be accurate too.  Another was told of a sister working for Lloyd George......unfortunately I didn't pay much attention as a child.

Owen's death certificate lists George Thomas and Mary Jones as parents.

Thank you for your help.

England....Cook, Agger

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 18:55 BST (UK) »
I'm so glad that's the right family. I can see them in 1871
Troed'r'allt, Pwllheli RG10/5704 folio 51 pgs 16-17
William Williams head mar 22 carrier b. pwllheli
Elizabeth wife 21 b. Aberdaron
Ellen dau 2 b. Pwllheli
Reachel dau 1 month b. Pwllheli
If younger daughter was called after the grandmother living with them in 1881, then Ellen could be called after the other one.

This could be Annie in 1891
34 Sand St, Abererch RG12/4650 folio 112 pg 24
Thomas Hughes head mar 45 general carrier b. Llangybo
Jane wife 48 b. Llanmor(?)
Thomas son 11 scholar b. Pwllheli
Jane Ellen dau 9 b. Pwllheli
Ann Williams 14 domestic servant b. Pwllheli

this might be her father in 1891
Court Sand(?) St, Pwllheli RG12/4651 folio 49 pg 25
Williams P Williams head m 44 general lab b. Pwllheli
Catherine wife 46 b. Abererch
David Jones son u 20 general lab b. Llanbedrog
Edward Jones son u 18 general servant domestic b. Abererch
Martha son(!) 13 (age is in female column) b. Abererch
John son 12 scholar b. Abererch
Robert Williams son 16 general lab b. Pwllheli
Ellis son 5 scholar b. Pwllheli

there's a marriage registered at Pwllheli of William Pugh Williams on the same page as Catherine Jones 1st quarter 1890 vol 11b pg 502a  and 2 possible deaths for Elizabeth 2nd quarter 1886 Pwllheli vol 11b pg 303 age 35 and third quarter 1889 Pwllheli vol 11b pg 257 age 39. This is the only family I've seen so far with at least 2 of the family group from 1881 with simialr ages and places of birth, but with common names there's nothing certain. Between 1881 and 1891, there are 4 different GRO referenced pages for marriages with a William Williams and a Catherine Jones and that's just in Pwllheli!

I've had another look for Owen but not having any luck. Georges are few and far between in Caernarvonshire at the time and none so far with a son Owen or wife Mary. Who registered Owen's death and would they have been correct about his parents' names? I've found a John that looks ok-ish or perhaps they ran away whenever a census enumerator came near.

Hope this helps and glad that you've found Rootschat. It might be worth putting a message about Owen on the Caernarvonshire board with everything you know about him. I'm just using general census sites. People on the other board might have the census for the county on disc which can be easier to find people on.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Grandma5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 21:27 BST (UK) »
Again, my deep thanks for all your help.  I'm rather new to genealogy and this is the first time I've posted or utilized Roots chat.....so you might imagine my surprise and delight!  G'mother Annie and I were very close (only gram I had!).  We never talked about the "old country" until late in her life.  She would try to tell me where she came from, but with unfamiliar locations and her accent, I never got it right.....which gave Annie a lot of laughs.

Owen died young -- age 44 in 1927.  Annie provided info for the death certificate re parentage, with their daughter, Lizzie Mary,  providing the same for Annie in 1959. They lived in Granville, New York with many Thomas, Williams, Jones, Davies, Hughes.....quite a large Welsh community with two churches. They all continued to use their native language and didn't become fluent in English.  This slate valley area of our state, nestled between the Green Mountains reminds me of some of the areas of Wales I have visited.

Again, my thanks, and I will take your suggestion and post on the Canarvon site.

England....Cook, Agger