Author Topic: How do I find out more about my convict?  (Read 797 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How do I find out more about my convict?
« on: Monday 03 July 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Found my first convict (hopefully my only convict) and I would like to try and find out how & why?

In 1871 David Harris (b 1849 occ Clerk) was an inmate at District Male Convict Establishment Portland. This leads to a number of questions.

First question that arises  was it Portland land prison or one of the Portland Prison Hulks?

Then comes the question why Portland when in 1861 he was living in Liverpool and in 1871 his wife and young son (born 1868) are still living in Liverpool, so why didn't he go to Walton Jail in Liverpool.

He must have come out by 1876 as his next son is born in 1877.

I have looked on Black Sheep but that site only has a list of inmates in 1881 but no reason for imprisonment. Tried looking up sites that have to do with prisoners but they all seem to be about todays prisoners.

Anyone out there in RootsChatLand got any ideas please.

Thanks
Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline rbangorreg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out more about my convict?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean.
         To get you started try looking at (use google)"Convict Indexes Victoria".
          You will find lots of information, If you click down to "Victorian Genealogy Links"  You will find lots of info.
         Regards     Reg.
ThaiThyme

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 06 07:19 BST (UK) »
If you read this previous thread on Rootchat about a convict in Parkhurst - scroll down to the last message because that details why a convict (not a prisoner - it is an important distinction) like David Harris was in Portland prison and not found in a local county gaol and then where the records on him will be held.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,9131.0.html

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 06 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda
Didn't realise there was a difference between prisoner and convict. Thanks for the link. Will now have something to search through this weekend. :)

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe