Author Topic: Not realy a tec question.How do i watch films?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Not realy a tec question.How do i watch films?
« on: Tuesday 04 July 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
I do have a D.V.D player,but i have a friend who watches her films on her monitor.I picked up some disks still sealed from a charity shop to go with my collection.I put one in before,but nothing happened,except i got a page up with five documents.Don't know what they were.Do i need a special program to watch films ???

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not realy a tec question.How do i watch films?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
I've only watched one film and I had to open my 'Windows Media Player' programme before I could watch it. 

The WM Player is found by clicking on the 'start' at bottom of screen and scrolling up to 'All Programmes' which will open a list of what's in/on your computer - the icon to look for is circular.  I have an XP computer and the media player came with it.  Years ago I had a 95-98 and the media player was a free download.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 22:34 BST (UK) »

Go here Celia and Download 'Avant DVD Player' it's a freebie......it's nothing startling but you can watch your DVDs with it......

Of course I'm assuming you have a 'DVD Rom' on your computer......you can't play DVDs in your 'CD Player....

If your not sure.....if you have two opening drawers in your Computer, chances are one is a DVD Player.....it will say 'DVD Rom' on it....

Does your Comp look like this below?..

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena
I had tried the Media player the program came up but nothin happened. Mind you i have never used it because i am not into music so don't have any disks.I have the sound off anyway because i cant consentrate with noise. The disk wasn't playing because the light wasn't flashing.

Celia.                                                                             

Somebody complained my glow Celia annoyed them and gets on their nerves. i have glowed for ever but now i am just plain Celia :'(
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Celia

You need a media player, such as Microsoft Media Player. Although you have the hardware, you may not have the software. (Translation - you've got the mechanical thing that will play the "tape", but not the devise that will make it all work.)

Click on the file and then search for a media player.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 18:09 BST (UK) »
Now Mr Funnyman Michael ;D ;D
I have now recovered from a fitt of the giggles after reading your post.Its my birthday today.unfortunately not my fifth ;D ;D And i will go there when you tell me where it is
i have to go :-\  Thank you for the simple instructions by photo on how to find my D.V.D draw on the top of my high tower (that set me off ;D).That has D.V.D in Capitol letters on it. I would never have found it without the photo ;) and of course i do know i cant play a D.V.D. in the Disk draw. You haven't got a photo to show me how to open it have you ;D ;D ;D  Regards from Plain Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 06 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for all the suggestions folks,but i have now fixed my own problem again 8) I couldn't understand why the D.V.D wouldn't work on Windows Media Player when it should have done.So i tried another one,and it worked perfectly.So the disk was the problem,will sort that later,I have a large flat monitor.My P.C is in my Bedroom,So i can now watch a scary movie from my bed. Great.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 July 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Now Mr Funnyman Michael ;D ;D
I have now recovered from a fitt of the giggles after reading your post.Its my birthday today.unfortunately not my fifth ;D ;D And i will go there when you tell me where it is
i have to go :-\  Thank you for the simple instructions by photo on how to find my D.V.D draw on the top of my high tower (that set me off ;D).That has D.V.D in Capitol letters on it. I would never have found it without the photo ;) and of course i do know i cant play a D.V.D. in the Disk draw. You haven't got a photo to show me how to open it have you ;D ;D ;D  Regards from Plain Celia

OOOOOOPPPPPPSSSS!........Sorrrrrrry!......I didn't mean to underestimate your capabilities......the way your question was posed, I just thought that, like me sometimes, you needed suggestions and pictures......

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 July 06 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael
no need to apologies you didn't offend me one bit or i wouldn't have put all those smilies on the post ;D.It was just the photo that made me laugh. The first thing i did years ago after doing a computer course in College.Was buy a computer second hand in case i broke it ;D .The second was a Teach myself course to find out what i can do with my computer. I also found out by the bills what you cant do ;D ;D I am not saying i am a Nellie know all, but i get by. Thing i am not interested in i don't bother with,i didn't know you could see a film on your P.C till my friend told me. So i thought i would have a go,but i didn't know how to do it.The program is one of many i haven't used because before i bought the P.C of my son (I had a windows 98).He had it cleaned out and reinstalled.With programs i haven't seen before and as yet haven't tried out. So i didn't know i had windows media player till Rena & Meles suggested it. My next question will probably be . What does the Nero program do? But thats another story ;D ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials