Author Topic: Ivinghoe WINDMILL parish register lookup please  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ivinghoe WINDMILL parish register lookup please
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 02:39 BST (UK) »
I have a John WIndmill who married Ann Unknown. Their children are Mary 26 June 1773  & Thomas 10Sept 1780. There is probably more but at this stage I cannot find them. They were both born in Ivinghoe Buckinghamshire. Thomas married Elizabeth Wright TAme of Potsgrove, where the next generations of my family come from.
Any help is appreciated

Lee

Hi,
I am new to this board and have just found this post. The John and Ann mentioned in the quote above, and their son Thomas (and his wife Elizabeth) are my direct ancestors too. I have been searching for information on John Windmill but to no avail. His son Thomas moved to Potsgrove, Bedfordshire where he married Elizabeth Wright Thame, as Lee has mentioned above. We have been able to trace many of the descendents of Thomas.

But it is his dad, John that is prooving elusive. I have had no luck with the ancestry message boards, as virtually no-one is looking for Windmills. Does anyone on here have access to Ivinghoe parish records, that we might be able to find a marriage for John to Ann? (btw the dates that Lee has given above for Thomas and Mary are the baptism dates not the birth dates). Or can anyone check the original entry for the baptisms of both Mary Windmill and Thomas Windmill, so that we might be able to verify the IGI info on their baptisms? Also I have found two possible marriages for a Mary Windmill in Ivinghoe, both to William Bates, one dated 12/1/1791 and the other dated  28/2/1791. Both entries are form submitted by a member of the LDS, so would anyone be able to check these and verify her father's name at least so we can see if there is a link.

I know that there are many Windmills to be found in and around Ivinghoe, and have even wondered if their name originates from the Pitstone windmill (which is right next to Ivinghoe), said to be the oldest post mill in the UK (dates from 1625 or earlier).

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Kind regards
Happy Flowergirl.

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ivinghoe WINDMILL parish register lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 17:28 BST (UK) »

not all you wanted but as follows from Ivinghoe P/R.

BAPS
26/6/1773 Mary d of John & Ann Windmill

10/9/1780 Thomas s John & Ann Windmill

MARRIAGE

26/10/1887 Daniel Durrantx otp & Elizabeth Windmillx otsamep
married after banns
Witness Thomas Englishx Sarah Ivesx Francis Norwood

13/12/1790 William Windmillx otp & Lucy Pitfordx otsamep
married after banns
Witness Richard Gadsden Francis Norwood

12/1/1791 William Batesx & Mary Windmillx botp
married after banns
Witness William Windmillx Elizabeth Batesx Francis Norwood

Did not have time to hunt thru for the marriage of John to Ann. Might be worth emailing Bucks CRO and see if there is one on the database. Will be some time before I get back there but as you say lots of Windmills abound and did spot a couple of burials in Ivinghoe when looking for my own bits and they related to a Wm & Mary Windmill from Ivinghoe Aston.

Susan

Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 06 17:29 BST (UK) »

Marriage of Daniel to Elizabeth should be 1787.!!!

Susan
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 06 21:54 BST (UK) »

Thank you Susan for your help and the info.

Interesting that the marriage of Mary Windmill (to William Bates) is witnessed by a William Windmill. Maybe this is her brother... I shall go hunt the IGI for who this William Windmill might be. Shame there is no father's name for Mary, but thank you for confirming the date for me.

The IGI only shows the two children to John and Ann Windmill but, as we know, the IGI is far from complete. Given how many children most people had back then it is likely that there were more than just two. Although it is possible that Ann died young and John re-married, so William could be her half brother. I will check again through the Ivinghoe IGI batch numbers for christenings and marriages to see just what they do have listed for William Windmill, and also for the Elizabeth Windmill who married Daniel Durrant (I am sure I have seen this name somewhere before....)

I wasn't aware that one could simply e-mail the Buckinghamshire CRO and they will give you information. I shall try giving that a go also, because I have another 4 family lines from Buckinghamshire that I am still stuck on. Do you know of a particualr e-mail address on which it is best to contact them?

Once again thank you for your help Susan, and I will carry on searching for the marriage of John and Ann, and perhaps a baptism for John.

Kind regards
Marion

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 06 08:34 BST (UK) »

Not sure if Bucks CRO will help out........I thought it worth asking them to search the datatabase for the marriage of John Windmill.

However if you can wait till my next trip I can do a search for you and also the others you are stuck on. Think the database is pretty much done now.

Susan
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for offering to do lookups at the archive centre for me.

Since your last message I had a look at the Bucks FH site, and had a look at their database search facility and it does look quite good. For just £2 you can get a county wide search for a surname over a hundred year period. That seems really extensive, and would produce a really thorough search too, especially when you can include name alternatives. I think I will do this for the Windmill baptisms. I will probably also up my spend by another pound or two and get the marriages and burials too!!! lol

As I am most likely to this this it is probably not going to be necessary for the lookups at the archive centre. If the systems there run in a similar way to the Bedfordshire archive (to which I have been) then one has to search each parish book separately, and if the people for whom we seek have moved parishes then it can be a difficult way of searching. Oh, I just realised, they probably have the database on the systems there... doh!!

Ok, if I order the database searches from the site, I will let you know, so that you can use your time at the archive centre for other things.

Thanks again for your help
Kind regards
Marion

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 06 10:22 BST (UK) »

I had forgotten that the database is now online.!!! I seldom look at the CRO website as I can mooch along every so often.

Will be interested to know how you get on if and when you ask for a search.

Bye Susan

Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 July 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I'm not sure if I am looking at the right site? The Bucks FHS site doesnt have their databases online for you to search, but you can send off a cheque for them to do the searches for you. They say they have about a third of the parishes transcribed in the database, so actually I'm not so convinced that the county searches would be as thorough as I had first thought.

Is this the same website and database of which you are talking when you say the CRO? And if so, when they say that Ivinghoe 1901 St Mary the Virgin 1559 and Ivinghoe 1950 Wesleyan Chapel 1838 are transcribed are these likely to be complete for those church records? Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Marion

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 06 09:47 BST (UK) »

Good grief is a wonder I find any of my 'bones'.!!!

Yes I should have said Bucks FHS......have looked at it and also the Bucks CRO website which has changed completely since I last looked.

If you can wait till my next visit........will be in the next few weeks or so then I will check the database.  I suppose one needs to checkout the adjacent parishes to Ivinghoe to see if they are on the database before paying for a search.
Will have a look today as I know the area quite well......not sure if you do. Will get back later

Bye Susan

Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews