Author Topic: Unregistered Birth  (Read 1996 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
Unregistered Birth
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
How did people survive when birth not Registered?
Example.
Illegitimate child born in 1923, not wanted by family. Taken in by another family informally, (Say Smith) no paper work. From then she used the family name. Married in 1945 as Smith. Surely she would have to produce a Birth Certificate?
Family in question lived in East India Dock Rd and were bombed out, so could have said that it was destroyed, but as we all know a copy could have been obtained.
Even a Probate Genealogist couldn't find any trace of her origins.
Any ideas please?
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unregistered Birth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 15:22 BST (UK) »
It's quite recent that people had to produce ID at every turn.  I doubt she would have had to produce a birth certificate in order to get married.  Her birth should have been registered, but if she was very young when "adopted" (and there was no formal adoption until 1927 - I think) she would not have known her birth name.  One of those dead ends.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have a family member (a bit younger than yours) who was not registered, "borrowed" his brothers details to join the Royal Navy, married and had children but never had to produce a birth certificate until it became time to obtain his pension so he was then registered.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 06 09:35 BST (UK) »

I have a lady and her brother born 1911 and 1917 neither of their births were registered.

The lady wrote to her local registrar in 1937 beleiving she needed a copy of her birth certificate in order to marry, we have the letter they sent back saying searches had been made but nothing found!  She was still able to marry and the matter wasn't raised again until the 1970's when she wanted a passport, again searches were made and nothing found so she went to a Commissioner of Oaths who produced a document for the passport office, only problem was she gave 1919 not 1917 as her birth year, ho hum...that meant she had to wait 2 extra years for her pension.

Although she still has no birth cert we know her birth year from records found detailing her time in a childrens home so we were lucky.

I'm afraid the situation you describe is not uncommon.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. Hadn't thought of the 'Commissioner for Oaths'. Suppose it would be the same process for ID Card, Ration Books and Pension etc.
She drove an ambulance during the Blitz, doubt if they would have worried about documentation.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
I've been told that someone in my family was not registered at birth, but was able to use a Certificate of Baptism for identification.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 July 06 14:40 BST (UK) »
I've been told that someone in my family was not registered at birth, but was able to use a Certificate of Baptism for identification.
Thanks skb,
Obviously much easier than I imagined. Probably wouldn't get away with it in todays climate.
Cheers,
Bob.