Author Topic: Look up Offers Omagh Area  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Tyrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Millennium Shrimp. "Tied by Me"
    • View Profile
Look up Offers Omagh Area
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
I've just seen a topic on the GenesReunited site about people offering to walk around their local graveyards looking up headstones for people. So I thought I would offer my services to anyone that wants a headstone search done! The churches I can do are in the Omagh are:

If you would like a search, please post a new topic on the Tyrone Lookup Requests board, or send me a personal message.
Briggs - Pontefract
Pennington - Wigan
Martin - Hartley Wintey
Silver - Hartley Wintey - Hampshire

Offline cathlene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Offers Omagh Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 07 16:51 GMT (UK) »
please could you look for a james gallagher i know he died in 1927 hes my grandad thankyou
researching gallagher and mcCusker of dromore tyrone ireland

Offline Brains

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I would like a graveyard look-up please if possible.
My husbands Gt Grandfather may be in Omagh, but not definite, his name his James Mcvey he was born about 1820 Ireland, he married Annie Steele, but dont know when they died. Or even if they were buried togeather or not.
James had a son  also called James Mcvey he was born in 1836 in Co tyrone but emigrated out to sydney in 1860.  On a Certiicate said his religion was Prestybeterian  if that is any help to you.
Appreciate  any help if at all possible thanks..

Barbara Mcvey from Australia

Offline alan2721

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 07 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this very kind offer.

Can you please look up any Mulherins.

My gg grandfather Patrick was born in Drumragh in 1818.  I have this information from his army service record (attestation 1835 in Glasgow, Scotland).  The only other information I have is on his marriage certificate (India 1845) which states his fathers name was also Patrick.

Many thanks
Regards
Alan

Offline judav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 07 16:27 BST (UK) »
Would be grateful if you would look up any McGaugheys.  My ggrandfather was James McGaughey - documents state he was born Omagh, Clappagh (Cappagh?) around 1830.  He died in England, but I am interested in any others who might be related in Omagh.  His father was Richard McGaughey, and that is the only other name I have for definite.
Many, many thanks.
Judy

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
In the Eskra RC cemetery, eight miles south of Omagh, and alongside St. Patrick's chapel, I would greatly appreciate it if you could look up the McCARROLLs and BOGANs.  They are in the western half, or the older part, of the graveyard - close by the Eskra Post Office.  I am particularly interested to see if there are grave markers for Owen McCarroll - that is plural - for the Corkhill area. 

There is one Owen McCarroll marker that I have visited a number of times because it is my family's plot.  Unfortunately, it was a visit to honor the dead and not to find out anything about the deceased, which I am now trying to do.

It seems as though there may have been two Owen McCarrolls, and they were both married to Catherines, that lived up in the Corkhill townland in the mid-1850s.  (One may have been married to a Catherine McGinn, but my great grand mother was Catherine McCusker, who was from Agharonan and died at Curr in 1916.)
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 04:48 BST (UK) »
I've just seen a topic on the GenesReunited site about people offering to walk around their local graveyards looking up headstones for people. So I thought I would offer my services to anyone that wants a headstone search done! The churches I can do are in the Omagh are:

If you would like a search, please post a new topic on the Tyrone Lookup Requests board, or send me a personal message.

Hello Tyrone,

It might be an idea to purchase a copy of "Tombstones of the Omey" which was was published by Omagh Family History Society in 1998 if you don't have one already. It contains over three thousand entries of headstone inscriptions recorded from graveyards in the Omagh area. It may save you a little bit of leg work. If the book is no longer available there should be one in the Omagh library.

Christopher

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Brains

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 07 03:14 BST (UK) »
HI Christopher,

Thanks for your email, regarding Look ups in Omagh Area.  You mentioned a book that had been published called "Tombstones of the Omey"  Thankyou for that, I will tell my husband about it, and if he he interested he may want to get it.

Regards

Barbara Mcvey from Australia.