Author Topic: Banffshire Burial - Michael Hastie  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Whispers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banffshire Burial - Michael Hastie
« on: Thursday 06 July 06 04:01 BST (UK) »
Michael Hastie (1786-1821) was born in Chatton, Northumberland, England and moved with his parents and siblings to Berwick between 1800 - 1819.   Some time in his life he moved up to Stone Mills St Fergus, Banffshire - where he died in May 1821.    I'm trying to find out if he ever married and had children.    Any suggestions where I could look would be greatly appreciated.

N.B.   Michael's nephew, Alexander Clarke Hastie, his wife Elizabeth (nee Catto) and family appear in the 1881 Census living at 24 Stonemill Ho, St Fergus, Banff in the 1881 Census.

Would anyone have the 1841 Census please which may show Michael's family still living in Stone Mills/Stonemill please?

Thanks.
Whispers

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire Burial - Michael Hastie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 July 06 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi whispers,
Have been having a look on FreeCen and have only found a James Hastie living at St Helena, St Fergus, 42  Ag Lab  born St Fergus, wife and 5 children.

Thaere are a number of Alexanders in various parts in 41 and the same in 51, any ages?
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline Whispers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Beckey

There is not a James Hastie b. 1799 (in order to be 42 in the 1841 Census, in our family, so he is probably just a red herring..

Sorry, I should have said that Alexander Clarke Hastie was born in Edrom, Berwick in 1840.   He died in 1908 in Langton, Berwick.   His children, all born in St Fergus, Banff,  were: William b.1869, Alexander b. 1870, Robert b. 1872, born Isabella b. 1873, Rachel b. 1875, and Elizabeth 1878.    The 1881 Census lists Alexander as a Farmer of 135 acres.   I guess the 1871 Census would be the earliest that would capture Alexander at Stonemills then.

The difficulty is that the only information I have about Michael is his birth and death dates.   I don't know why he moved up there except that I believe his brother's (William) wife's family lived in  Aberdeen.   I suspect William's wife was Jean Clarke b. 25 September 1800, christened 28 September 1800 Udny, Aberdeen .   She married William Hastie (1786-1855) and died 1844  in Berwick. and I think her parents were James Clark and Margaret Strath.

Thanks and kind regards
Whispers

Offline Whispers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 06 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Beckey

There is not a James Hastie b. 1799 (in order to be 42 in the 1841 Census, in our family, so he is probably just a red herring..

Sorry, I should have said that Alexander Clarke Hastie was born in Edrom, Berwick in 1840.   He died in 1908 in Langton, Berwick.   His children, all born in St Fergus, Banff,  were: William b.1869, Alexander b. 1870, Robert b. 1872, born Isabella b. 1873, Rachel b. 1875, and Elizabeth 1878.    The 1881 Census lists Alexander as a Farmer of 135 acres.   I guess the 1871 Census would be the earliest that would capture Alexander at Stonemills then.

The difficulty is that the only information I have about Michael is his birth and death dates.   I don't know why he moved up to Banffshire from Berwick, except that I believe his brother's (William) wife's family lived in  Aberdeen.   I suspect William's wife was Jean Clark/e b. 25 September 1800, christened 28 September 1800 Udny, Aberdeen .   She married William Hastie (1786-1855) and died 1844  in Berwick. and I think her parents were James Clark and Margaret Strath.

Thanks and kind regards
Whispers

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Whispers,

It was the 1851 census I meant, that makes James Hastie born 1809 at St Fergus.
According to the IGI, he married a Jane/Jean Finny 3/12/1842 Old Deer, Aberdeen, she was born 1818 Longside Aberdeen.
Children Margaret bap 26/10/1839 Longside.
Gilbert b. 6/7/1844 St Fergus.
James bap/.30/3/1845 St Fergus.
Elizabeth b.18/4/1847 St Fergus.
Jane b. 30/12/1850 St Fergus.
all of the IGI.
Hope they make sense, thought I would put them just in case.

There is no census out for Berwick at the moment, you would have to go on the "scotlandspeople".

Regards,
Beckey

Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline Whispers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 July 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Beckey.   I've made a note of James and his family - you never know, just because I can't see where he fits in now, doesn't mean that he'll slot into place later on.

Many thanks for all your kindness.

Whispers