Author Topic: GLEADELL - Blyton Lincs  (Read 6755 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GLEADELL - Blyton Lincs
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 August 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
hi JillJ  :)

Does this mean that your hubbie is a Gleadell (or variation)?  I know that there are Gleadles [sic] still in the area, but the spelling changes (ie I know that there are some Gledhills who run some sort of business in Gainsborough - I'm sure they're all from the same family).

Clara  :)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 August 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

No, there is no connection to the Gleadells but I remember my mother in law speaking about 'Mrs. Gleadell' who I think was a neighbour of hers in Gainsborough, probably in the 1940/50's. 

I have just attempted to quiz my husband but anything to do with family history is greeted with a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders!  However, I did manage to extract the information that 'they were flour millers and had a place at Morton'.  Morton is a village on the banks of the river Trent just outside Gainsborough.

I asked if they had a flour mill and he said he didn't know, but maybe they had the 'Mill on the Floss' - the book was actually written about this Mill at Morton!  He also said that one of the family still lives at Morton but he can't remember his name.  Said he will be in his 60's now.

That's about all I can tell you - hope it helps a little.  By the way, the spelling variant I have used is my own!

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
JillJ, curiouser and curiouser  ;)

i know that one of Matilda's branches, but also one of my hub's (she's on hols, by the way) was living in Morton, north of Gainsborough in one of the earlier censuses... need to chase up who's who...

But... are you actually saying that George Eliot's novel was written about Morton???!!!

Clara  :)

ps I totally understand about the blank stares, etc....  :-\
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

I am told - by the oracle I live with - that the Mill in the book was based on this mill at Morton.   Think I've heard it from other sources as well though!   To my shame I've never read the book!

Happy hunting!

Jill
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
Cheers Jill  ;)

Think my hubbie might suddenly be interested at the thought of having relations that might be THERE at the time of George Eliot....

Clara  ;D

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Just another thought for what it's worth.  I see that in the 1861 census the family were living at Spring Gardens in Gainsborough.  Now...at one time there were two railway stations in Gainsborough and one of them - Central Station - was at the top of Spring Gardens.  If I remember rightly it closed about 1970.

Jill

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Still two stations  ... sorry about the long URL ... it may mess up the page format.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=481500&y=389500&z=3&sv=481500,389500&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=481580&ay=390006

Zoom in and you'll see Central Station is by Spring Gardens.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 August 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

Central Station closed as far as passengers were concerned but it might still be used for Goods, and yes, Spring Gardens is still there.

Jill

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 August 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
They may have knocked down the buildings, but you can still catch a train from there-

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/index.html?a=findStation&station_query=gainsborough&Find+stations.x=0&Find+stations.y=0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk