Author Topic: GLEADELL - Blyton Lincs  (Read 6758 times)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
Re: gleadell, blyton, lincolshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
hi Clara that would be great, its taken me a while to track this lot down so any help would be lovely  :D
                    take care
                              Matilda
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline JohninAus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 14:48 BST (UK) »
Based on Geoff's 1851 link, Ann was born abt 1778 in Faldingworth.

A possible marriage is John Leighton- Ann Kirk ,1803, Newton by Toft (Westwold deanery marriages).

There were Kirk(e) baptisms in IGI Faldingworth (albeit not Ann) in the late 1770's, to John Kirke and Elizabeth (nee Eastwood...mar 1773, Faldingworth)

It's a bit loose, but worth further scrutiny. Faldingworth Normanby and Newton are within 5 miles of eachother.

John
LINCOLNSHIRE: Sergeant, Dent, Watts, Fussey, Portas, Middleton, Bullivant, Howson, Lingard, Arliss, Laceby, Holtby, Lamb, Host, Stark, Hicks, Cuthbert, West. DEVON: Parkhouse, Brace, Mullins, Luxton,Cook ,Nicholls, Ley
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
thanks for that john
           something for me to look in to , take care Matilda

travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
hi all (and Matilda  ;D)

Just to let you know (and to avoid any potential duplication of effort) that I'm chasing up Matilda's Gleadells/Leightons via parish records at N Lincs Library at the moment. 

I'm also hoping to find a link between Matilda's Gleadells and my (uninterested) hubbie's Gleadles  ;)

I've just found the marriage register for some Gleadels [sic] who I think are likely to be the parents of John Gleadell, stationmaster, but I've got quite a bit more rummaging to do  :o  Have still got Ann Leighton of Faldingworth to investigate  ;)

Clara
ps will email you shortly, Matilda......
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 July 06 21:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for all your doing clara  ;)
              Matilda

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 July 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Just to let people know who contributed to Matilda's thread:

The station house (where Matilda's rellie, John Gleadell was station master) still stands and is now a listed building - and someone's home  ;).  Hub and I went to look yesterday and the owners were very welcoming and let us take photos. 

I've also found that John Gleadell was the 1st cousin of my hub's g-g-grandfather, Thomas Gleadle (their fathers were brothers, sons of John and Sarah Gleadell of Blyton).  The Gleadells were a big family from Blyton, Lincs and it looks like different spellings were adopted to differentiate between the lines (one line became Gleedhills).

Here's a couple of photos of Blyton station house as it looks today (well, ok, yesterday.... ;D)

Clara
(ps Matilda has already seen them....  ;))
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 July 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D
they look great dont they
       matilda

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 18:54 BST (UK) »
Another photo, taken today - this is St Martin's Church in Blyton, where Matilda's ancestors John and Matilda Gleadell are buried (we've been twice to look, but can't find a gravestone...  :()

But we found the gravestone of my hubbie's g-g-g-grandparents, Thomas and Mary Gleadle (same family)....

Clara

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GLEADELL - Blyton Lincs
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 20:08 BST (UK) »
Just for info: my husband was born in Gainsborough and I believe there are still Gleadells living there.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk