Author Topic: Munro Family, Dundee, Scotland  (Read 4641 times)

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Munro Family, Dundee, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 July 06 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,
               Thanks for doing the roots Chat thing, it's much appreciated.
James & Martha were living in Melbourne, appears that Martha's parents Alexander & Margaret nee Richardson were living in Melbourne as well as Aussie records show there Deaths and that they were born in Dundee.
James Donald Munro's death certificate doesn't give us much at all, have got Martha and her family from Australian records, will send you more later today.
Have found two James Munro's born in Edinburgh which is consistant with whAT MY FATHER HAS PASSED ON TO ME AS TO HIS BIRTHPLACE ON THE Church of Latter Day Saints site, one to a Hector & Margaret Munro in 1851 and another in 1849 to William & Margaret Munro, both are very close to his apparent birth year of 1850.
Martha also appears to have had a sister Elizabeth born two years prior to her in 1850 in Dundee.
This Family History stuff can be frustrating can't it?

Is the Falklands Crest part of you.
Regards Ed Munro

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 July 06 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed

I checked the 1881 Census for Scotland Lowlands (which includes the Lothians)
 - and this appears to be one of the James' you mention born in Edinburgh right time frame.

1881 Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
Address: West Coates
Ref    Volume 685-1    EnumDist 7    Page 3
Head: Hector MUNRO 68 b Knockbain, Ross and Cromarty
Occ: Market Gardener of 20 Acres  - Employing 5 Men & 2 Women
Wife: Margaret MUNRO age 68 b Rosemarkie, Ross and Cromarty
Son: James MUNRO   age 29 b Currie, Edinburgh, Occ: Book Keeper
Dau: Rebecca MUNRO age 24    b Currie, Edinburgh

I can't see a suitable William MUNRO & Margaret (ms SUTHERLAND) nor any of the children who list on IGI as issue of parents of that name b Edinburgh.

Unfortunately my Highlands disc is broken so I can't check that one  :(

Yes, the Falkland Islands is me - born & bred, but in NZ for many a year. Go back to Danish Ship-jumpers, Welsh sailors, and Fife Ag Labs on that side of things  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline tedbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 July 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly, you aren't that far away after all, interesting you were saying about the Dans and Welsh as my gg grandmother was Norwegian, came to Australia at 16, not allowed to land so went on to NZ, married a guy over there and ended up back here in Oz. On the other side of the family it has been said for as long as I can remember that we were Welsh but there are three of us doing family history on that side and none have yet found the Welsh connection.
Thanks for info on James Munro, sounds pretty close so far, ran it past my father but he has no thoughts/ memories or whatever past James Donald Munro, hopefully your info has taken us back another step. What would be the best way do you think to confirm that info
Regards Ed Munro