Author Topic: barrow on soar - Barby Family  (Read 3790 times)

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
barrow on soar - Barby Family
« on: Friday 07 July 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
HI I am looking for some information on Barby Family living in Barrow on soar.  My Great Grandfather was Andrew Barby Born around c1895.  I am having some difficulty finding a name for his wife.  It was either Maud or Florence but i have no maiden name.  I know that some of their children were born in Barrow on Soar and the last 4 of them in Hull.  The circumstances of the move are not clear but it was some time around early 1920s before my nan was born.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as it will give me a starting point to go further backwards.  Any suggestions on where to look in this part of the country would help too as i have mainly been concentrating on lancashire families up until now.  thankyou! Em...

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: barrow on soar - Barby Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
What is your Nan name and year of birth?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
My Nana is Kathleen and she was born in Hull 1929 March.

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, Well I have some BARBY in my tree as well they came into the family when  GEORGE EDWARD SWAIN married one of my ancestors  EMMA DARBY . One of their daughters  FLORENCE SARAH SWAIN married JONAH BARBY they married in 1888 loughborough leics.,he was b abt  1870 wichen northamptonshire. I have that he was buried the  28 june, 1947 age 77. florence died the 7 july, 1938.

I have their children  also.

1.JACK BARBY
2.KATHLEEN BARBY  b abt 1908
3.LAWRENCE BARBY  b abt 1907 kings norton
4.EDITH  EMMA BARBY b 1889 barrow upon soar
5.GOERGE EDWARD BARBY  b june  1890
6.CHARLES BARBY b 1891 barrow upon soar
7. ALICE MAY BARBY  b june qtr  1893
8.ANDREW BARBY b sept qtr 1895 barrow upon soar
9. AMOS BARBY B  MARCH QTR 1897
10.maud ellen barby B DEC QTR  1898
11.bernard barby  b 1902
12.MABEL BARBY b 1902
13.EVELYN BARBY  b 1908

I have more details for you if you like, I am not really doing my tree on the barby's mostly on the DARBY'S but I like to get as much info as possible on the darby family and who they married into.
Look forward to hearing from you.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You can search the BMD index here free, (choose complete images).

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

If you look up the birth of your Nana it will show her mother's maiden name, then it should be easier to find your Great Grandfather's marriage  :)

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ChelleH54

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

I haven't been on these boards for a long time and decided to pop back in to see what's happening.

I saw your post regarding Andrew Barby b1895.  According to my research and my desktop program relationship calendar, Andrew Barby is a 2nd Cousin once removed. 

I also share a large part of my tree with charby.  My great grandmother, Elizabeth Darby, was a younger sister ofo Emma Darby listed in charby's posting.

Unfortunately, at this time, I don't have a marriage for Andrew Barby.

Regards
ChelleH

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry for not replying but been a bit busy just moved house few weeks ago and everything is a bit chaotic.  house needs some work!
so i've left this to its own devices for a bit.
it always interesting to find new relatives though.
to tell the truth i've not done much on this side of the family up until now but going to try and put some pieces together soon.  thanks for your help.

Offline neilmack

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hallo.
I can add a little to this.
Andrew Barby married Florence Winterbottom. Jonah used to refer to her name as "co'd-arse" (a village pleasantry). I think she came from Hull. My Mother remembered her as a small woman with a large family!
Charby might be interested to learn that there were another six children in the brood (19 altogther), though sadly only 12 made it to adulthood. Some of the dates for their births are wrong. Lawrence Barby was the youngest, then Kathleen (actually baptised Catherine according to her sister Mabel), then Mabel, then Charlie (b. 1900, the last surviving member of that generation, died about twenty years ago). 
Jonah Barby originally came from Wicken in Northamptonshire with his father Enoch and his brother, another Charlie.
I can remember Maud, Kathleen, Charlie, and of course my Grandmother, Mabel. Somwhere I have some more detailed notes, and some photographs - I shall have to dig them out!
Kind regards
Neil

Offline em79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
The winterbottom reference is hillarious! My grandmother is Kathleen, Andrew and Flo's daughter I assume she must have been named after an aunt then? And Florence was definitely a tiny woman I can certainly confirm that from my grandparents wedding photo as my grandmother was only 5'2" at her tallest - she shrank a bit! but her mother is significantly shorter at least 4 or 5 inches. I must get my genes from that side as everyone else is taller than me!