Author Topic: Edlin in Notts  (Read 6810 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Edlin in Notts
« on: Friday 07 July 06 20:12 BST (UK) »
I have recently been in contact with a number of people who have Edlin relations in Nottinghamshire nearly all with a Newark connection.  It thus seemed worhtwhile starting a new thread to run in parallel with the Leics thread which seems to also be covering Lincs.

The Newark family so far seems to go back to Charles Edlin who married Jane Reavill in 1817.  It also seems likely that Charles was the son of William Edlin and Ann Toder born c 1796 in Newark.  Can anyone stretch this family further back?

If you can't link to Charles if you post your family details here we can probably show how they fit in.

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Notts
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I've been doing a bit of research on EDLIN in the Newark area.  The family you refer to would seem to extend back from William EDLIN & Ann TODER who were married in 1792 at Newark Parish church to Henry EDLIN(G) and his wife Susannah who appear to have had at least three children Ann (1763) at Winthorpe, George (1766) and William (1768) both at Newark. 

I am really doing the research to assess if this family are in any way related to my EDLIN family who were in Allington, Lincs in the mid-19th century and one son Joseph moved into the Newark area in the later 19th century. 

I'd be really grateful if anyone interested in the Newark EDLIN families could post their interest here and make contact.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
See the Edlins in Leics Thread for discussion about Charles Edlin born Thurlsby c1844.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=129116.new#new
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
From the London Gazette now available online from 1772.

Charles Edlin Saddle and  Harness Maker of 31 Arkwright Street Nottingham went through bankruptcy proceedings in the 1890s.  There is another business address mentioned which I forgot to record.

David

Offline john.48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am tracing my family (edlin) in the newark and surrounding area, and would b e willing to share research with you.
I belive i may have gone back as far as 1785 when i have traced a edlin who moved from winthorpe which is about 3 miles from newark
If anyone else has other information that may be of help then that also would be welcome.
thanks John

Offline john.48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 07 10:52 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census for London in the parish of St Paul Depsford/deptford (cant quite make out) i have found a Frederick Edlin listed as being a scholar, whom was born in nottingham and i believe he is the son of charles who ran the saddlers in the city.
could anyone fill me in on his outcome in life.

Cheers, John

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused by this one.  Charles the saddler was born 1844 in Thurlby petitioned for bankruptcy in 1892.  Two relevant sons Frederick born 1875 and Charles Henry born 1871. The former too old to be a scholar and I can't find a marriage for the latter.  Did he take over his father's business?

Who was Frederick living with in 1901?

David

Offline john.48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 07 15:13 BST (UK) »
Will probally have to do a bit of digging on this one, but it lists him of being 26 years of age and profession is listed as saddler not scholar (my mistake...strike through from curator)
So maybe he did carry on his farthers trade down in London or went in search for work?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 May 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
That makes more sense.  His mother was born in London and his parents were married in Rotherhithe Registration District.  Rotherhithe is not that far from Deptford.  I wonder where his father was in 1901.  I am fairly sure he died in Nottingham in 1904

I have answered my own question Charles and Martha were both in Nottingham in 1901

David