Author Topic: Edlin in Notts  (Read 6809 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Edlin in Notts
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who the Sarah Ann Edlin who was born in Newark in the December Quarter of 1871 was?  She doesn't seem to fit into the Edlin family as we currently understand it.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline john.48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 February 08 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a Henry Edling of Boston , miller and another Henry Edling of Boston, the younger.....Is this another branch of Edlin's or do they relate to another branch???

The mill was located in Goats lane.

I  know that the senior henry is deceased as his will is proved in  1754 and he mentions his brother John Edling deceased and another brother George poss. deceased but whom has a daughter Susanna whom is married to a Robert cardin.

I also am aware that the wife of the senior henry (Martha) remarries in 1756 to a William Morton of Boston recently widowed.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 February 08 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I haven't come across this family before.  The Notts branch and the Leics branch are probably linked although we haven't proved anything yet.  The Leics branch we have taken back into Lincolnshire and they were in Denton from 1600 to 1800.  However there is no use of the name Henry until much later.

What is interesting but probably quite irrelevant is that the name Henry was very prominent in the Middlesex branch of the family.

I presume that you have found the Leics thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,129116.0.html

David

Offline Herman100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
I am an Edlin born in Newark. I can trace my family back through the Edlins at Muskham, just north of Newark and back through the Edlins at Allington. Thereby linking the Newark and Lincs lines. If anyone wants any further info then PM me.

Just for info my Grandfather was Reginald Edlin b1905 Muskham
then Herbert his father b 1876 Marston....he moved to Newark
Then Joseph b 1849 Allington
This line goes back to John and Emma b about 1470 in the Redmile area

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately your Newark line was as far as I can see a relatively recent move into Nottinghamshire decending as you say from Herbert who moved from Allington. Although it seems that it was his father Joseph who moved as his three youngest children were baptised at Hawton Notts.

What I can't establish is any link between this line whose origins are in Leics and Lincs to an earlier Newark line.  There is some confusion about the origins of John and Emma that you mentioned as there is some evidence that they were living in the Southgate area of Liecester at the end of the 15th century.

The unlinked family was living in Conningsby at the end of the 17th century.  One of that line Henry (bapt 1732 Conningsby) seems to have moved to Newark in 1763.  Some of his descendants were still in Newark in 1900 although others had migrated back to Lincs and further north to Sheffield and Doncaster.

David

Offline Herman100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 September 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
My father (sadly deceased 2009) claimed that the Edlin line that are saddlers and seem to come from Nottingham were linked to his family too. Unfortunately difficult to confirm as I live away from Newark and there's no one of the last 2 generations to confirm.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
Charles mentioned in the first post who was the grandson of Henry was a saddler as were many of his descendants for two generations.

David

Offline john.48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
I personally do not know of a link from the muskham Edlin family to the ones that live in newark.

The Edlin's from hawton were a totally separate line.

The family that has strong ties to newark and the saddlery business in the town originated from lincolnshire in the late 1600's.

John.