Author Topic: Edward GURNEY and Annie FAREY  (Read 19870 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Edward GURNEY and Annie FAREY
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
After Sept 1912 all spouses are listed(as are mothers maiden names on births) so in the case of Emily F A Gurney's 1914 marriage it clearly states she married Cooley........a further search under that surname gives you his christian name of Mark.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carol2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Carla

This reply is a bit late as I have just joined Rootschat.

Mary Ann Stamford Fairey/Fairy and Edward Gurney are both in my tree.  She was the daughter of Mary Warren and John Stamford Fairy who married in 1872. 

Mary was the daughter of Martha Warren and was christened in Buckland in 1850.  According to the marriage record of John Fairy and Mary in 1872, her father was William Fosket.

Mercy Dunton, nee Warren, was her aunt.

Carol
Bkm: Keeley, Barlow,Hawes,  Woods, Martin, Thorne, Parkins, Tomlin, Lambourn,
Herts: Cartwright,
Beds: Fairey, Smith, Howard,

Offline enticce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 November 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone......sorry for the delay in replying but i left this for a while so i could come back to it refreshed and have been checking and rechecking details again. The info you have given is very useful so thanks again.

Carla
King-Alvediston in Wiltshire and Radnorshire in Wales
Stanley-Alvediston and Ebbsbourne in Wiltshire
Philpotts-Ebbsbourne Wake in Wiltshire
Martin/Nunes-Martinez-in London and all over!!
Allen-Redbourn, Hemel Hempstead, London
Gurney-Hemel Hempstead
Farey-Hemel Hempstead
Williams-Spennymore, County Durham, Flintshire
Mcauliffe-Cork, Ireland

Offline Carol2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 November 06 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carla,

I have more information on Martha Warren and her family as well as the Fairey/Fareys, if you need it.  Are you related to Mary Ann Gurney nee Farey?

Carol

Bkm: Keeley, Barlow,Hawes,  Woods, Martin, Thorne, Parkins, Tomlin, Lambourn,
Herts: Cartwright,
Beds: Fairey, Smith, Howard,

Offline enticce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 November 06 18:26 GMT (UK) »
hi

This is my husbands side of the family. he got interested when i started to trace my side so i said i would do his family too. Yes i know i am mad but what can i say?
Mary Ann Stampford/Fairy/Farey was the mother of Ethel Gurney, my husband's grandmother. Ethel married William Williams and they had a daughter who is my mother-in-law.
I must confess that i have concentrated on my ancestors recently so havent looked up any more about Mary Ann. Both myself and my husband would love more information if you have it and i know his mother is riveted by what we have found so far. It would mean a lot if we could pass on more details. My husband comes from the Hemel Hempstead area btw!

regards carla

Gurney-Hemel Hempstead
Farey-Hemel Hempstead
Mcauliffe-Cork, Ireland

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 November 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was interested in this message thread as I am currently reading a biography.

Did you know that Elizabeth Fry the very famous prison reformer's maiden name was Gurney? Her family were Quakers and in her biography it shares her journals and those of her sisters. It has made lots of reference to family members that they have visited.

I was interested to read that she courted the son of the founder of Lloyds bank.

Jan
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore

Offline enticce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 November 06 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Interesting! Can you let me know what it is exactly you are reading because maybe there is some connection even if distant. I would love to have a look at that book too. The Gurney's were scattered around somewhat but you never know. I could put it on my Christmas book list  ;D.

regards carla
Gurney-Hemel Hempstead
Farey-Hemel Hempstead
Mcauliffe-Cork, Ireland

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 November 06 14:06 GMT (UK) »
'Elizabeth Gurney was the third of 12 children of John and Catherine Gurney of Norwich. John Gurney was a successful banker and businessman. Catherine was a member of the Barclay banking family. Both their families were active in the Society of Friends.'

Regards

Valda

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 November 06 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi I actually purchased the book from the Quakers Bookshop not far from Kings Cross. (No I'm not a quaker, I was just curious) I love Elizabeth Fry (Betsy) and was really surprised to see she was a Quaker and that there were a few different biographies of her life.

The book that I am reading actually has a family tree inside it of both the Gurney and Fry lines, she had 11 children! The Gurney line goes back to 1692 the book is called

Elizabeth Fry a biography and was written by June Rose and cost me £4-75 ISBN: 0 85245 260 8

I think the address to contact for the book would be -
the Literature Secretary, Quaker Homes Service, Friends House, Euston Road, London, NW1 2BY, UK  - as I'm sure this must be the same place as I purchased my copy from.

If you have problems getting the book let me know and next time I go up London I'll see if I can pick you up a copy, probably wouldn't be for a few weeks yet though.

Jan
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore