Author Topic: Oswald  (Read 1535 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Oswald
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 01:54 BST (UK) »
Isabella Oswald married John Clazie, Clazey probably abt. 1815.  In a recently opened trunk, she had begun working on a genealogy of her family. She was born in 1799 and married the miller in Berwick-Upon-Tweed.  They moved to Etal.   Isabella left a written story...never naming specific names but took the family back to King Oswald.  There has been the name Oswald in every line until this last one as we by that time had no idea where the family came from except "England".   Any help with the Oswald line would be most appreciated.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline emjay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oswald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 06 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

The Oswald family were Freemen of Berwick. I have a book of the entries in the Roll of Freemen from 1800 to 1899. Let me know if you would find it useful for me to send you a copy of the entries for the family.

Regards,

Myra
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 03:04 BST (UK) »
I had to set the genealogy aside once school began.  Another researcher found a record I had looked at...George and Barbara Oswald with three girls baptized at Golden Square Presbyterian or Scotch Church.  One is an Isabelle.  Would your book have an entry for GEorge?  I am sorry for the delay...do not know where the time goes. 

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
George does not seem to have been a Freeman.

There are more than three children in the Golden Square baptisms. I will send you the complete entries in a PM.

Myra

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 23:48 BST (UK) »
Myra,

Could you tell me what the definition of freeman was or is? I have sent what you forwarded to the possessor of Isabelle's trunk...I am hoping she might haul the other one down from the attic and see what is in that!!  She has had a terrible time trying to decipher all these scraps of paper with very faded handwriting on them and to date had found nothing with her father's name or anything on them. 

Thank you for this wonderful piece of information.

Sharon

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'll send you a copy of the introduction to the book of Berwick Freemen in a PM as it is too long to post here.

Myra

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much...I look forward to reading it!!

Sharon