Author Topic: FreeBMD searches  (Read 12011 times)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FreeBMD searches
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 July 06 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Geoff....

By the way, when I click on those links.. it says 'cannot be found'. 

Same here! ???

Go to http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

and find "PLEASE NOTE: WE HAVE NOT YET TRANSCRIBED THE WHOLE INDEX. A breakdown by event and year can be viewed here" ... click on "here"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry Challis 1905 - Cyfarthfa Brass Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:56 BST (UK) »
I have since found Georges siblings:

Walter Lord born 1902 and someone found
Lily May Lord born 1903

Walter and Lily both born in Bristol. 

SO all the kids born in Bristol, but I still can't find Florence and hubby Lord.

I did find a Florence Lord born about 1881 listed on a Somerset 1901 census  (pay site that I am not subscribed to).. but no details as to town, etc.  Wondered if that was her. 

Would there be any reason I can't find their marriage.  I even tried just looking for Lord/Brooks anywhere that matches.  Very weird!

England Challis Ryder Mullett
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 July 06 03:58 BST (UK) »
You all know that at www.ancestry.co.uk you can search the gro indexes up to 1983 free of charge

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 July 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Heh Rob, I just about live there now!

;D
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 July 06 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sally

The Florence you found in 1901 is unmarried - she appears to be holidaying in Weston with her (?) mother and sister and comes from Cirencester.

If you have double-checked your facts from your sources (living rellies? other documents?) I would now be inclined to buy the birth cert of one of the children. Preferably Walter b 1902 as this is nearest to the census & the address might be the same, but any of them would give you the parents' names & father's occupation.

Do you know what the "R" stands for in Florence's name?  Maybe she went by her middle name?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 July 06 15:13 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,

It's all a big mystery to me now.. lol.  Noone knows what the "R" stands for, and as you say if she used that, and we knew it, it would make life a lot easier!

I think I will have to get birth certs for "George" as at least I know he is correct.  Funnily enough, I am having the same problem with his wifes family!    Birthday next month... no surprsie what I will ask for!!!!

Thanks for all your help everyone  :)
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 July 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
SallyCat,

Do you think Florence could have been married before she married Mr Lord?  In the photo she could be c. 20 meaning she'd be born abt. 1870.  If her first Lord child was born 1902 she could have been about 32 so may have been a widow when she married Mr lord.

Perhaps the R is from her first husband's surname.

On 1881 census there in a Florence BROOKS aged 8 living in London.  She was born in Cheltenham but her mother was born in Bristol.

Just thinking out loud really but may just be a clue somewhere  :-\

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 14:31 BST (UK) »
Pinetree, just chatting with another friend who is doing family research, and we came up with the same thought.

I also just got an email from mother in New Zealand (thank god snail mail is no longer the only option.. lol).   They pulled photo out... (sigh)... and on the back...

Florence Rebess BOWDEN - Brooks... husband, WIlliam Robert Lord.  So we are now wondering if Bowden was her first husband, as she is definitely called Brooks on georges birth info.

Found them in a 1901 census in Wales.. birth years about right, and with two children, 1898 and 1901 .. which is kind of consistent with the other two born 1902 and 1903 in Bristol.  George must have been a late edition!!!

Tis all very exciting!  So yes.. all the clues help! :)
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle

Offline SallyCat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 21:27 BST (UK) »
PS - have since found a Florence Brooks living in Canada - from the 1881 census there.  Age is right, birth just shows as England, so I'm investigating that avenue. Possible that she married in Canada (family all there) and thats why I cant find a marriage in the UK !

Ahhhhh and so the plot thickens!
Rowland Darke
Fisher Brewer
Lord Brooks Bowden Davis
Ireland - Doyle