Author Topic: Bayston Hill near Shrewsbury  (Read 2146 times)

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
Bayston Hill near Shrewsbury
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 08:07 BST (UK) »
I am researching Ann(e) Sharman, née Powell, who was at Ellesmere in 1871 and gave her place of birth as Bayston Hill. She would have been born in or about 1829. I understand that there was no church there at that time. Please could someone confirm or deny this. If there was no church, where might I find her baptism in the registers and/or IGI?
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bayston Hill near Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 15:13 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise Bayston Hill's churches were so new. 

This looks a good bet (from www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Condover/index.html) -

"CONDOVER, a parish in the hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It has a station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway. It is situated on a branch of the Severn, and contains the townships and hamlets of Bayston, Boreton, Chatford, High and Low Condover, Dorrington, Lyth, Ryton, Westley, and Wheathall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £258, in the patronage of E.W. Owen, Esq., who is also lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Monica

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Christ Church,Bayston Hill was built in 1843 prior to that Bayston Hill was split between the parishes of Condover and St Julians in Shrewsbury.

s.g.d. 

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I'm sure that will be a great help - much appreciated.
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ann Powell
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
For an update on what I have on Ann, please see my replies of today to the thread headed "Sharman in Shropshire". Thank you.