Author Topic: I Wish My Family Had Been Quakers!  (Read 5386 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I Wish My Family Had Been Quakers!
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Oh, if only!

I am currently working on a family tree for someone, unfortunately not directly related to me, and was having a real struggle trying to find a certain individual. He seemed to have come from nowhere and Census returns proved no help. He was not with his parents at the age of 5 and I had no other clues.

I got a phone call from the person whose tree it is yesterday, and she had found a bundle of paperwork relating to her family, and amongst those were a lot of Quaker documents. I cannot believe what a treasure trove they are!

Now, not only have I been able to find the mystery mans parents, but I also know what he looked like. The Quakers were obviously quite keen on him, because included in the documents is a small booklet which is his biography. I even now know his last words ("Praise God! Glory!", apparently). Absolutely fascinating stuff, and it makes him come alive, well, not the last words bit, like nothing else could do.

But the treasures don't stop there. There are also wills, marriage certifiactes, letters, poems (including some slightly less than wholesome ones!) and much more besides. But what really got me was that there were also Birth Certificates from 1776!

Now my dream is that I find that my family were also Quakers. The amount of information they seem to have about members is simply staggering. My family is remarkably light in the documentary area, and such a bundle of info would be like a lottery win.

Now, I must go. I can't linger, because I have a whole century of documents to plough through!! Its like Christmas, and they aren't even my family.

Glen

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: I Wish My Family Had Been Quakers!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
Oh how super, and what fascinating stuff.  What a lucky family to have all that documentation at their fingertips.

Like you Glen, I wish my lot had been Quakers.  Perhaps they were, and I've been looking in the wrong direction, and that's why I can't find them  :D

Su

Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
OH!!! IF ONLY!!!
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on such a lovely find and I wish!!!!!!

Kerry  :o :o :o :o
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 06 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen

One of my families were Quakers and they are on my "Brick Wall" list.  ::)

Please oh Please tell me where to find all this exciting information.

P L E A S E  :-* :-*

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

The source for all this info was an envelope which was found in a cupboard. I don' t know if that will be the same for all documentation! :D

I don't think the Quakers have put things online yet, but apparently their library is open to the public, so may be worth a visit. I would guess that the society magazines would have details of meetings, and there are probably birth and marriage lists there as well. It sounds like an interesting plae to visit, and one for a future trip to see if any of my own brick walls may be lurking there (if brick walls can lurk!)

Glen

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 06 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen,

I have searched all my cupboards and haven't found anything lurking (apart from a couple of spiders) so please be more specific - exactly which cupboard should I look in!!  ;D

I continue to hope that the Quakers are my correct line of info for my missing AGGS family - it was only a family story passed down that said they were Quakers, so it wont hurt to try that line of enquiry.

I will continue searching (cupboards) for (lurking) brick walls  ::)

Thanks  :-*
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, Glen, that sounds amazing!  I'd love to see what a 1776 biorth certificate looks like - any chance you could scan it in so we could have a peep?  :)

cheers

Paul

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Paul, I'll give it a go when I get home.

They are on parchment, and have a strange wavy shape, and the earliest ones are handwritten, but use the same wording as the semi-printed ones from the early 1800s.

Glen