Author Topic: Warwick University - Trade Union Records  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Warwick University - Trade Union Records
« on: Wednesday 27 October 04 19:49 BST (UK) »
After watching the latest "who do you think you are"? I looked at the Warwick University site for Union Records and actually saw a list that would appear to have the information I need.  I can see no way to access actual records on-lin. What I see is a list of what is held there. That would mean a trip to Warwick - for me a physical impossibility even if I did not have a disabled wife to care for.
My paternal grandfather married in 1900 in London. He and his wife both came from Gloucestershire.  On the marriage certificate he describes himself as a Labourer [having been previously a Collier].
The 1901 census shows the couple back in Gloucestershire and he is now a Railway Servant. That places his entry into the railways in a small time frame and the railway company had to be one that went through the Forest of Dean. I suppose he must have worked at Symond's Yat or Lydbroke. An on-line Union register would give me a great deal of information immediately. I might even find his date of death - a diufficult thing to find as he used a variety of christian names from time-to-time. He is probably there as Tom Southern.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk