Author Topic: Wing - ROW / ROWE parish records lookup please  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wing - ROW / ROWE parish records lookup please
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me with a really puzzling problem.

I have the following family
Joseph Rowe (Row) and Elizabeth (probably Bolton) and their children
Hannah Rowe (bc1819 in Wing, Bucks)
Sophia (or Sophey) Rowe (bc1826 in Wing, Bucks)
Samuel Rowe (bap 21/12/1828 in Battlesden, Beds)
Sarah Rowe(bap 25/07/1830 in Battlesden, Beds, d1832)

One of my queries is that IGI shows a marriage of Joseph Rowe to Elizabeth Bolton on 27/07/1828 in Wing, Bucks. This means that Elizabeth was pregnant with Samuel, (my gt gt gt grandad) when they got married.  Would someone be able to check the original entry to see if this is the case or if there are any fathers names please?

Both Hannah and Sophia (or Sophey) have the surname of Row (from the 1841 Battlesden census and the marriage cert of Hannah), but I am beginning to think that maybe Elizabeth was a widow when she married Joseph (or they were both widowed) and that Joseph adopted both Hannah and Sophia and they took his name. Hannah's marriage cert does state her father as Joseph Row though (she married William Garner). Still waiting for marriage cert of Sophia who married John Merridell (Merrydale).

I can find an IGI member submitted entry for the baptism of a Hannah ROWE bap 23/07/1820 in Wing, Bucks, parents as Elizabeth ROWE and William ELLIOT.
But there are also two member submitted entries in the IGI as follows
Hannah <Bolton> bap 21/11/1824 in Farhnam Royal, Bucks to Thomas Bolton and Elizabeth
Sophia <Bolton> bap 18/05/1828 in Farhnam Royal, Bucks to Thomas Bolton and Elizabeth
Now I dont know why the angle brackets are around the surname on these entires, could this be because they changed their surnames, but if these are my Hannah and Sophia why do all the censii show their place of birth as Wing, Bucks? I can't find any other baptisms for a Sophia around this time that would match any of the possible surnames she might have had. (I have found a marriage of a Thomas Bolton to Elizabeth Hall 24/04/1820 in Water Stratford, Bucks, but I really don't think that this is my Elizabeth as my Elizabeth was born in Wing).

Please could someone check the Wing or the Farnham Royal parish records to see what these entries say.

I suspect that there is a baptism for a Hannah in Wing in July 1820, but I wonder what her surname was then, I suppose it could be Rowe, Elliot or Bolton or even Hall.

Elizabeth herself is difficult to trace, not only because I can't tell what was her birth name, but also because she changes her age in all the censii. In the 1841 she is shown as 45 (1796), in 1851 as 61 (1790) and in the 1861 as 76 (1785), but at least in all instances she is shown as being born in Wing, Bucks.

Sorry if this post is a bit long, but I hope you can understand why I am confused, and perhaps someone might be able to help me verify some of the details for my family.

With kind regards
Marion

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wing - ROW / ROWE parish records lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 20:56 BST (UK) »

Can try and do some of this  for you at same time as Windmill unless someone helps out before

Susan
Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

That would be fantastic if you could help. I hope it is not too much trouble for you, although I fear that this Rowe family is too complicated a puzzle, as I have just received the marriage cert of Sophia Row, and it shows her fathers name as William Pratt....  So now we have yet more to confuse us, Sophia could have been baptised Sophia Pratt, although there is nothing in the IGI Wing baptisms for this name.

Now I know that this is definitely the right Sophia, because whilst Elizabeth is living with daughter Hannah Garner & family in the 1841 and 1851 censii, she is then living with Sophia Merridell and family in the 1861 census. (Sophia and Samuel are also living with the Garners in 1841.)

As my direct line through Samuel is clear, i.e. parents of Joseph and Elizabeth, I just need to find out who Joseph and Elizabeth were and when Elizabeth was born, and I had hoped that her daughters Hannah and Sophia might help me trace her, but they are just making the whole search even more complicated.

Thanks for all your help Susan
Kind regards
Marion

p.s. I have a suspicion that Joseph Row did not come from Wing as I can't find him there either (although the marriage record might state if he was of the parish or not, of course it doesn't mean he was born there, just living there.)

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 06 13:39 BST (UK) »

A bit for Row but not a lot as always more questions than answers.

You were right in your assumption that Joseph a widower and not from Wing.
Marriage as follows

27/7/1828 Joseph Rowex of Ivinghoe wid &
Elizabeth Bolton, sp otp by banns
Witness John Bolton, Veere Woodman(Parish Clerk)

Did not find a bap for Elizabeth at Wing.
On the database picked up a bap for Elizabeth Bolton d William/ Elizabeth Bolton in 1785 at Marsworth.....is not far from Wing or Ivinghoe.

So from that one would think that Hannah and Sophia are children from Joseph's first marriage.

The fact that Sophia has a Pratt for a father might well be an error. Where did the marriage take place maybe I can check it out if you like. Not sure if Joseph was bap in Ivinghoe as had no idea of the date and also ran out of time.

Database incomplete so better let me know what else you are after and will do at a later date

Bye Susan
Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk