Author Topic: Looking for the family of my Great grandfather.....please help.  (Read 3276 times)

Offline narelle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for the family of my Great grandfather.....please help.
« on: Monday 10 July 06 04:05 BST (UK) »
According to the Coroner's inquest,  my great grandfather was killed in New South Wales, Australia when the spring cart he was driving upset pinning him underneath.

His death certificate says that he,   Alexander Coutte Duncan died 7th November, 1924.  aged 59 years.   It states that his father was William Duncan,  farmer and his mother Eliza Montgomery.  It also says that he was born in Scotland and had been 42 years in New South Wales and that he was 27 years when he married.

His marriage certificate   ......16th June 1893....  says that he was a native of Forfar  but gives no other information.  He is named as Alexander Duncan.

My grandmother was his only child.  She told me that she thought that he had sisters, Eliza and Mary after whom she had been named but her memory was not good at that stage.

Alexander was an Engine driver and had worked on coastal ships and had been an engineer on tugs at Port Macquarie, Laurieton and Coffs Harbour  on the NSW north coast.  At the time of his death he had left the sea and was an engineer at a Sawmill.

This is all I know.

I am hoping that someone is able to help me to find my Scotish roots.

Thank you,
Narelle.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the family of my Great grandfather.....please help.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 06 13:13 BST (UK) »
Well.

Assuming that William's age at death is correct, he would have been born in 1865. The IGI at www.familysearch.org has an almost 100% complete index of births in Scotland from 1855 to 1874, so I would expect to find a birth listing for him there.

The IGI lists just two children to parents of those names: Grizal, born 1763 and Elizabeth, born 1764, so these are obviously not yours. It does not list any Alexander Duncan whose mother was a Montgomery.

Nor is there a marriage of a William Duncan to an Eliza Montgomery, though a William Duncan married a Mary Montgomery in Rutherglen in 1862 and had six of a family, not including an Alexander.

I wondered if he might have been illegitimate, but the IGI has only one listing for an Alexander Montgomery, mother Eliza Montgomery, born 1 June 1865, and this is a 'submitted' entry with no exactly matching 'extracted' entry, therefore its accuracy is suspect. (He is probably the son of Robert Montgomery and Elizabeth McEwen, born 1 July 1865 in Ayr.)

There are five Alexander Duncans with father William born in Angus between 1860 and 1870, with mothers' surnames Sheriff, Lindsay, Laird, Steel and Ormond.

There is no Alexander with mother Montgomery born in Forfar between 1860 and 1870, and though there are three Alexander Duncans, their mothers' surnames are Duncan, Sinclair and Ormond (the same one as above).

It is just possible (but very unlikely) that your Alexander is missing from the IGI, in which case he would be listed in Scotland's People at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but it would be quite a job to cross-check all the births of Alexander Duncans to eliminate those in the IGI against those in SP.

I see that he had been in NSW for 42 years, suggesting that he arrived there in 1882, when he was only 17. This seems a bit on the young side to emigrate alone, so I wonder if you have searched the lists of arriving passengers to see whether he arrived with other family members?

I wonder whether 'Forfar' on his marriage certificate means the parish of Forfar or the county of Forfar (Angus)?

I had a look in the 1881 census of Angus for any Alexander Duncan who might be yours.

There is a 19-year-old factory labourer Alexander Duncan, born Dundee, living in the household of his sister Elizabeth at 15 Patons Lane, Dundee, and an 18 year-old house painter, born Montrose, living with his younger brother John in the household of their aunt Margaret Duncan at 21 Annfield Road in Dundee. Alexander Duncan, aged 18, brn Kirriemuir, was a farm servant in Glenmuick in Aberdeenshire. Another 18-year-old Alexander Duncan, born in Maryton, was living at 69 North Wellington Street, Dundee, with the family of his elder brother David. The only Alexander Duncan of roughly the right age and with a father named William is the one whose mother was a Sheriff.

So I am stumped for the moment.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline narelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 06 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for  all of that information.

Alexander is certainly a mystery.

My grandmother always said that he had no relatives in Australia.

I have been through hundreds of passenger lists looking for him but to no avail.  I will keep searching there.  Also I have been looking through the lists of crew members of ships arriving in all ports.  Of course many records have been lost.   As he was working on ships after his marriage, I think it is probable that  he joined the merchant marine as a youth which would account for his age on arrival.  He could have been at sea somewhere at the time of the 1881 census.

All I have of his,  are a pair of small white jugs in the shape of cows with fading gold writing on the side of each ...." straught frae the coo"..... and his smoking cap......If only they could talk.

My grandmother's Birthday Book has "Alex Duncan" written next to December 9.  Sadly no year date.

I am hoping that someone who had a family member disappear in NSW will see this.

I have no way of knowing how accurate his death certificate is but it is still my best clue.

My mother died in 1947 when I was seven years old so there is no one who I could ask about him appart from my late grandmother.

I will have to keep looking and hoping .

Strange things happen so I will not give up.

Cheers,
Narelle.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 06 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Narelle there is a family on the 1881 census in Forfar (Angus) consisting of William & Elizabeth (Eliza) with a son Alexander C. Duncan. The age of Alexander doesn't agree with the info you have but could be an error in the transcript or other reason.

I am visiting the Mormon library tomorrow so will see what I can find on the Scottish records there.

Keep slogging at it, yesterday I found some info on my Scottish Gt Gt G/father that I had been trying to find for years and it came right out of the blue!
Regards
Shirley
Perth WA
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline narelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 06 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shirley.

Your help is much appreciated.

It is possible that the age on the death certificate is incorrect.  There is no age given on the marriage certificate.

Good luck with your family search,
Narelle.
Nth tablelands, NSW.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 06 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Narelle I had a look at the limited scottish births & marriages for Angus at the FH library but no luck I'm afraid.

Happy Hunting

Regards
Shirley
Perth WA
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline narelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

Thank you very much for looking.

I will keep hoping that some clue will turn up.

Cheers,
Narelle.