Author Topic: cantrell of Ashover, Sutton cum Duckmanton  (Read 13049 times)

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cantrell of Ashover, Sutton cum Duckmanton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 02:42 BST (UK) »
Mike, I hope you are still coming to this site. My name is Debbie and I live in the U.S.  I am interested in the William Cantrill and Elizabeth Ward that is part of your family. Did they by chance have a son named Joseph who was christened 23 Dec 1666 in Ashover Parish and came over here around 1682? Did your William have a brother named Richard who also came here around 1682?

Thank you,
Debbie Cantrell Cunningham

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Welcome to Rootschat

I notice that Mike hasn't been on this site for a few years now, but he may pick your message up.

I am also tracing Cantrill's / Cantrell's of Ashover. It's not the same line as yours, mine is the Ashover / North Wingfield mob.

It looks like William & Elizabeth had 4 children baptised at Ashover.
Joseph 23.12. 1666
Hannah 15.9. 1672
William 29.11.1674
Hellen 12.4. 1680

I can't see any earlier baptisms for a William or Richard.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thank you for the information on William and Elizabeth Cantrill! I had noticed that Mike had not been on this site in a while so I didn't know if I would get a response from him or not, but you never know so I'm glad that I posted my message. I didn't know this site existed until I found it yesterday!

Truth is we aren't sure what parish Richard Cantrill was from. It seems like the more info you find, the more questions you have. What we do know about Richard is that he lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and died beford 1753. We have found info that stated that he was an indentured servant to Captain William Smith, Master of the Bristol Merchant, that sailed from the the Port of Bristol and according to some of the passengers on the ship, arrived here the 12th month of 1682. From what I have found is that before 1752 the legal year started on March the 25th, so the 12th month in 1682 would have been February. Richard and his nephew Joseph Cantrill have never been found on any passenger list, but it's my understanding that for a short period of time indentured servants were not listed on passenger lists but this was changed due to adults and children being taken and put on ships, against their will. "The birth year of Richard was born in the early 1660s in Derbyshire, England. The estimated period of his birth has been establishing that he had reached his majority when he came to America in the 1680s. His shire of birth has been established from a petition that he submitted to John Blackwell, ESQ., Governor of the Province of Pennsylvania, in July 1689, stating that his nephew, Joseph Cantril had drowned in the Schuykill River, 10 May 1689 and that Joseph had older and younger brothers in Derbyshire, England. He posted a bond of one hundred pounds, which was considerable money at that time."  "We know from the Heart Tax records of Derbyshire in the early 1660s that there were several Cantril families living in the shire. We know that Henry Cantrell was a parson at St. Alkmunds in Derby, instituted in 1712. Over the years, several descendants of the family have traveled to Derbyshire and searched for Richard's birth and parentage. In 1986 and 1987, a family researcher located a baptismal record of a Richard Cantril, son of Richard and Alice Cantril who was baptized 13 May 1666 in Bakewell Parish, Derbyshire. In the nearby parish of Ashover, we find where Joseph Cantrill, son of William and Elizabeth Cantrill was christened 23 December 1666. There is a record of a Richard and Mary Cantrill in Bakewell Parish in 1694 and 1697."

Is there records on line in England that can be searched from the U.S.?  Who would we need to contact there to get iinformation? I have been looking and haven't found much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for your help,
Debbie

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Carol,

I got so excited about your post that I forgot to ask about who your Cantrill/Cantrell line is!

Debbie

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

There are far too many sites on Derbyshire to mention.  I usually just put the parish name into Google to see what turns up.  Here are a few useful sites

http://dustydocs.com/
http://www.genealogy-links.co.uk/html/derbys.html
http://www.derbysmarriages1538-1837.co.uk/search-result/1/

There are also transciptions of Parish Records that are available to buy on CD. 

http://www.ancestralarchivesofderbyshire.com/index.php?cat=1&item=21
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ValNealCDs.html#NorthWingfield

Have you tried looking for any Cantrill wills?  There is an index of Derbyshire wills on this site 1650 - 1750. They are indexed under Diocese of Lichfield & Coventry wills

http://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/StartPage.aspx?Mode=ShowIndex

Also some earlier derbyshire wills
http://wishful-thinking.org.uk/lichdb/index.html

My own Cantrell line is from Israel Cantrell who married Ann Hole in 1681 at Ashover.  I have never found Israel's baptism, but I do have a copy of a will, which points to his parents being Thomas & Mary of Ashover.  The problem is when you get this far back you have difficulty proving the connection and there seems so many Cantill's in Derbyshire. 

Are you thinking that the Richard bapt in 1666 is the one that went to America?

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Thank you for the list of websites, I'll print it out and see what I can find!

Yes, we think that it's a good possibility that this could be "our" Richard and I think that Richard's nephew, Joseph that drowned in 1689, could be the son of William and Elizabeth Cantrill.

I think I better share this site with one of the Cantrell researchers that been doing this for a while and has written a couple of books.

Do you live in England?

Debbie

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 April 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I'm not sure how much delving your researcher did, but looking at the information you've given, I am not convinced that Richard c 1666 is the same person who went to America in 1682.  I think that Richard was the one who married Mary and had the following children at Bakewell - Alice 1697 (after his mother? ) Margaret 1699, Joseph 1701 & Margaret 1704. 
Did your researcher make the connection between Richard & William being brothers?

Yes I am in the UK

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 April 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline xracer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 April 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Carol,

She is very thorough in her searching and gets documentation to back up the facts. People have been looking for Richard's parents for many, many years. Now she is going back and taking a second look at all the info that has been found. This is what she wrote "27 years ago, a Cantrell researcher made a trip to Derbyshire, England to find the parents of our Richard Cantrill....He came back with a baptismal paper where "A" Richard Cantrell (son of Richard and Alice Cantrell) were baptisting their son in 1666.....Warren dismissed it because he found "A" Richard Cantrell who married and was still living in Derbyshire...This Richard Cantrell who Warren was following was married to a Mary....And had a Joseph in 1701.....However, Richard Cantrill and Alice also had another son, Joshua in 1672 six years after their son Richard was born....Richard Cantrill and Alice also had a daughter named Ann.....looking at the ages of the Richard Cantrill who married Mary...when their children were born, I came up with the conclusion that this Richard Cantrill who married Mary would of most likely been born after the year of 1666....Sometimes things are right in front of our faces and we look passed it....I had already in my mind established that Richard was born between 1665 and 1668 and believed that Richard came here as a teenager...So, I am going to dive deeper into this, and it may well be that we had found the parents of Richard Cantrill 27 years ago...."  So we are back to the drawing board and still looking for the "proof". I told her about this site so I'm hoping she will come here and look for info.
I'm the one looking for the connection between Richard and William being brothers and have only been looking for info for a few days now.

Debbie