Author Topic: Fellows Family Llanbeblig/Ebenezer  (Read 12338 times)

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
Re: Fellows Family Llanbeblig/Ebenezer
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 July 06 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stu
yes briod = spouse or husband and it appears they lived in Mountain Street thats the way I read it, the roads should be on www.multimap.co.uk

I left North Wales, Llandudno to come to Staffordshire in 1974 so i came the other way round.

i think i'd now be trying for Carnarvon postcards of the street and you may be lucky and get one of the mine sweeper 'Mercury', certainly it should be registered at Lloyds if its a vessel shouldnt it?
regards Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 July 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
Free BMD offers a Cardiff marriage in June 1911 quarter for Harriet A Fellows and Ebenezer Williams, volume 11 a page 734, although thats South Wales not North Wales.
Gareth
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 July 06 15:54 BST (UK) »
Stu
Dont forget there is a census in Carnarvon in 1794 on Carnarvon Traders quite unique maybe worth a good look for Fellows?
Gareth
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 July 06 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

The translation of the headstone is as follows:

In Memory Of / HARRIET / Beloved wife of RICHARD EDWARDS / Of this town / Who died May 2, 1875 / Aged 43 years. / Also their children RICHARD HENRY who died December 21, 1875 aged 5 years. / ELIZABETH who died December 23, 1875 aged 18 years. / Also MARTHA A. FELLOWS / Who died April 28, 1904 / Aged 30 years. / Also EDWARD FELLOWS, beloved husband of the above / Who died April 8, 1917 / aged 62 years. / Also EBENEZER WILLIAMS / Beloved husband of HARRIET WILLIAMS / 21 Mountain Street, C’von / Who met his end while in the service of his country / on the Mine Sweeper “Mercury” / In the North Sea, June 7, 1917 / aged 41 years.

As for the Llanbeblig Churchyard; a lot of the headstones were moved many years ago during some "landscaping" carried out by the church. Sadly it destroyed the layout and the natural beauty of the place, as well as rendering as useless most of the G.F.H.S. plan of the churchyard.

I've never seen a postcard of Mountain Street, but there should be some photographs at the Caernarfon R.O.

Regards,

Keith.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 July 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
Gareth,

No Fellows at all in 1794 I'm afraid. It's not a name that's  commonly found in the town to be honest, so it should stand out like a sore thumb when it does appear.

Offline kleinfell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 28 July 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Free BMD offers a Cardiff marriage in June 1911 quarter for Harriet A Fellows and Ebenezer Williams, volume 11 a page 734, although thats South Wales not North Wales.
Gareth

There are two links between north and south wales - Charlotte was from Monmouth and her eldest  daughter Elizabeth married a man named John Booth and settled in Merthyr Tydfil around 1860. Or it's possible that Ebenezer was in the Navy and stationed in Cardiff.

Cheers
Stu
FELLOWS - Enville, Oldbury, Caernarvon, Anglesey
SNEAD - Enville
LEWIS - Monmouth

Offline kleinfell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 28 July 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Gareth,

No Fellows at all in 1794 I'm afraid. It's not a name that's  commonly found in the town to be honest, so it should stand out like a sore thumb when it does appear.

From trawling of the '41 to 1901 census I think my ancestor Henry was the first Fellows in Caernarfon. In it's self it has made the first part of my search very easy. There are some gaps in the censuses but i think I have all of Henry's children and most of the male's children in place.

The difficulty has been tracing Henry's parents in Staffordshire and the more recent decendants after 1901.

I have another link to Mountain Street as Henry and Charlotte lived ay number 6 and Charlotte went on to live at number 21 in her later years living with her son Edward.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Stu
SNEAD - Enville
LEWIS - Monmouth

Offline kleinfell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 28 July 06 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

The translation of the headstone is as follows:

In Memory Of / HARRIET / Beloved wife of RICHARD EDWARDS / Of this town / Who died May 2, 1875 / Aged 43 years. / Also their children RICHARD HENRY who died December 21, 1875 aged 5 years. / ELIZABETH who died December 23, 1875 aged 18 years. / Also MARTHA A. FELLOWS / Who died April 28, 1904 / Aged 30 years. / Also EDWARD FELLOWS, beloved husband of the above / Who died April 8, 1917 / aged 62 years. / Also EBENEZER WILLIAMS / Beloved husband of HARRIET WILLIAMS / 21 Mountain Street, C’von / Who met his end while in the service of his country / on the Mine Sweeper “Mercury” / In the North Sea, June 7, 1917 / aged 41 years.

As for the Llanbeblig Churchyard; a lot of the headstones were moved many years ago during some "landscaping" carried out by the church. Sadly it destroyed the layout and the natural beauty of the place, as well as rendering as useless most of the G.F.H.S. plan of the churchyard.

I've never seen a postcard of Mountain Street, but there should be some photographs at the Caernarfon R.O.

Regards,

Keith.

Hi Keith

I've just read through your translation of the MI and notice that Mother, Son and Daughter all died in 1875 - son and daughter both in December. Are you aware of any epidemics around that time?

Cheers Stu
SNEAD - Enville
LEWIS - Monmouth

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 28 July 06 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

I haven't come across any references to an epidemic in 1875, but there were so many of them at this time that it is quite possible. Just this afternoon I have come across a reference to an epidemic of influenza during late 1899/early 1900 which affected 700 people in the town, and also an epidemic of scarlet fever in 1899.

I'm sure that the Superintendent Registrar here at Caernarfon would be happy to check the cause of deaths for you. Her name is Mrs. Menna Williams, and the tel. number is 01286 682661.

Regards,

Keith.