Author Topic: Clergy of Church of England Database  (Read 103075 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Clergy of Church of England Database
« Reply #63 on: Friday 24 February 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
But surely using the term In Holy Orders is pushing us towards an ordained chap It is interesting that they seem to stress the Cof E connection on the censuses too. I now am curious and want to find out more about  them. Will start with  letters to the Church Army and the Ros where they end up I'll update if I find anything useful
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 24 February 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I have a 'doctor' in my tree
The Censusses record himas such and even mention where he studied - University of Philadelphia

However he was not a qualified doctor and was prosecuted fpr practising without registering as a doctor

The warning from this is that the enumerator and registrar may get the wording in a standard form but not necessarily factually correct

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 24 February 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D have you readmy saga of ETO  he was a supposed Dr! http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,378617.0.html
take care if you haven't its an adictive tale.

But then there are photos of  Edward in clerical garb and in a large group of other Clergy all in robes http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/27976941/person/5106948603?ssrc=
I am sure they really were ordained ministers its strange they are not recorded in Crockfords
Still puzzled by this family

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 24 February 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
If they were Church Army they wouldn't be in Crockfords's as Church Army officers weren't ordained.  So I suggest you try getting in touch with the Church Army.  There is the Wilson Carlisle College of Evangelism, 50 Cavendish Street, Sheffield, which is a Church Army training college.  I imagine I'm not supposed to give you their telephone number here, but can't remember how to PM.  If you want this would you send me a PM?  Hopefully they could point you in the right direction.
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
Does this clergy list still work? Doesn't seem to be opening for me and its just what I'm after!!
Thanks
Sharon
TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 01 September 13 13:43 BST (UK) »

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 01 September 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
Mmm just checked that thanks but no sign of them. I have discovered a family member whose son then grandson also went into the church (all same surname) but none of them appear!
TASKER Oxfordshire, EATON Oxfordshire, WIGGANS Lancs, GIFFORD Lancs, PARK Lancs, COTTAM Lancs, BECK Lancs, WINSTANLEY Lancs/Cheshire, VARLEY Garstang/Lancs, NEWTON Preston/Lancs, WOODHOUSE Halton, ECCLES Preston, SCRAGG Oxford/Preston, LAKE/LEAKE/LEAK/LEEK! Preston, WILDING Longton, Lancs, GREEN Bilston/Wolverhampton, JACKSON Bilston/Albrighton, FISH Blackburn/Lancs, WHARTON Lancs

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 02 September 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
What date and name?    I have some Crockfords directories in book form.

Offline SharonK

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 02 September 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I have Revd Richard Guest born 1757 Standish, Lancashire, died 1816 Eccles, Lancashire (think his church was St Mary's the Virgin in Eccles). And his son Wilbraham Bootle Guest born 1795 Eccles and died in Cheshire in 1863 (think his church was in High Leigh Cheshire but don't know the name of it). His son George William Guest also went into the church too as far as I can tell. Not sure where though as he travelled about - married in Islington in 1853 but also on census in Cheshire and Yorkshire. He was born in 1830 Cheshire but not sure yet when he died.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Sharon