Author Topic: ww 1  (Read 8534 times)

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ww 1
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 August 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,

If you have not found his service record it is available on A*****y.  If he died of wounds it should be recorded on there.

It is also possible to obtain his death certificate, if you do not already have it, which may give you more information - if you need any help to find this just ask.

Cathy ;D ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 August 10 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,

I believe that the Red Cross Papers covering WW1 are to be published soon.  These may give you more information on how he died.  Looking at the map he seems to have been fighting along the same front as my Great Uncle who died not too far away near Albert in March 1918. He was with the 4th North Staffs.  It is possible to get more information about the battle at the time of your Uncle's death by seeing the regimental war diaries which I think are held at the National Archives in London.

Cathy ;D ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doug Lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly

John is recorded as being killed in action, he enlisted at Burslem Staffs, and at the time of his enlistment he was resident at "Brown Edge" Staffs.

Regards Doug.
Researching war memorials and rolls of wolverhampton http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/index.html

Offline Polly2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, John William has become something of an obsession there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him, I recall that my nanna and granddad had a picture of him in his big gray military overcoat and wearing a cap, over the fireplace in the "best room" I also recall thinking that my own father resembled JW.
I just feel so sad that he died on his birthday, once again thank you so so much

Pollu

Offline Lizzyjin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
I know what happened to him. He was my gran's brother. He was captured and sent to a prisoner of war camp in Germany. My gran died last year. We found two postcards from James when he was in the camp, and a letter saying he died after becoming ill in the camp. I'm not sure which camp off the top of my head, but my dad still has the postcards and letters, so if you are still interested I can find out. He had a brother, Arthur, and two sisters, Sylvia and Ella (my gran). I never knew which cemetery, so thank you!

Offline Doug Lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzygin
I would be interested in any information that you have.

Regards Doug.
Researching war memorials and rolls of wolverhampton http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/index.html