Author Topic: Parish Registers for Berwick-Upon -Tweed 1572-1924  (Read 15898 times)

Offline oursutherlands

• RootsChat Extra
  • My profile still has a large nose!
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers for Berwick-Upon -Tweed 1572-1924
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 August 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
Clazey

Without burdening you with further requests, you have already got a lot of them in addition to your own research, could I ask you to look out for any MACE names that crop up while you are going through the OPRs.

Any little snippets would be greatly appreciated, and again thanks for the offer.

Neil
Researching Sutherland (Walls and Flotta, Orkney), Mace (Berwick Upon Tweed) Taylor (Rothbury)

Offline oursutherlands

• RootsChat Extra
  • My profile still has a large nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 August 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
Further to my request, above, I am specifically looking for the children of John MACE (b. abt 1821) and Isabella SWINHOE. One son, George Charles MACE was born Sept. 1861.

They had apparently 5 sons, two more I know about  are William and Benjamin.  Don't know if there were any daughters.

Thanking you in advance again

Neil
Researching Sutherland (Walls and Flotta, Orkney), Mace (Berwick Upon Tweed) Taylor (Rothbury)

Offline tarnee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Did you have any luck with my Young family for Berwick on Tweed. l thought l would just check in with you to see if you received the micro fiche from LDS.

many thanks

Jean
in oz
Graham, Grundy, Wilson:- Birkenhead
Graham, Sharp, Hodgson, Sherwen:- Workington
Fulford,Braithwaite,Blanchard,Hackforth,Ward,White:- Lincolnshire
Seaby, Cockerill:- Northamptonshire.
Wiseman,Smith:- Warwickshire
Upton, Gentle:- Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire.
Wall, Curtis, Felts, Thoms:- Bedfordshire.
Davis, Smallman:- Shropshire.
Wilcox:- Worcestershire.
Young, Renwick:- Berwick upon Tweed.
Plante:- Stafford, Warwickshire.

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Sharon..  Thomas Graham was born in Berwick on tweed in app 1789 +/- 1year.  according to the 1851 census.  He married Christina Dickson Fair.. he died in 1974 age 76,  his parents are recorded as John Graham Butcher and Mary Graham m/s Tait  any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance Elizabeth Hodgson m/s Graham.

Offline ndpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 February 08 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Elizabeth, My Dicksons ,William Dickson and Jean Dickson , cousins perhaps marrying each other about 1731,came from Greenlaw. They produced  three daughters, Margaret, Martha both chr 26 Jun 1832 Greenlaw  then Isabel chr 30 Nov 1733 Greenlaw,Berwickshire, Sct.
 Margaret married John Tait 28 Nov 1761 Eccles.BER,SCT
Margaret Dickson and John Tait produced  four known children-
Jane Tait chr 21 Dec 1762 Eccles
Robert Tait Chr 26 Dec 1765 Greenlaw  md Janet Graham(b abt 1776)md abt 1778
Alison Tait Chr 9 May 1767 Greenlaw
Margaret Tait Chr 1 Sep 1771 Greenlaw.
Robert Tait and Janet Graham had four known sons-two of whom became mariners and migrated between 1830 and 1840 to Tasmania, Australia where, James Tait became a well-known  identity in the seafaring circles and Robert Tait, my third gr grandfather, married first to Ruth Ramsay born 1801 and then to Katherine Clarke (before Ruth died as Mrs Ruth Neilson/Nelson of Bowel Cancer in 1851) and then in his sixties after the death of Katherine and their daughter, Catherine he married Rachel Elliott 12 Mar 1864 at Morven, Tasmania, Australia(no chn to this marriage)
 James Tait ,  Robert's brother (others were William and Andrew) married Catherin Pullinger  21 Sep 1836 Scots Church,Launceston, Tasmania)

Robert Tait and Ruth Ramsay(first wife) had four known children
Robert Tait Chr 10 Apr 1821 Sth Leith Believed to have been christened also  1 Feb 1824  Holy Trinity Parish Records, Berwick Upon Tweed son of Robert and Ruth Tait, Father, Mariner
Elizabeth Tait chr 11 Jun 1823 Sth Leith. MLN,SCT(It is believed that Elizabeth died young as no further mention is made of her in any records)
Jane Tait  20 Aug 1826 Tweedmouth, dau of Robert and Ruth, sailor
James Tait(my gr gr grandfather) Born abt 1827 Tweedmouth Died 1916 aged 89 Married 1st Grace Johnston 10 Nov 1850 ( Grace died  1856) Md 2nd Catherine Edminson/Adamson abt 1856

John Tait mentioned in the first para came from Eccles and was the son of Robert Tait and Alison Heague(parents Antonie Heague and Alyson Stewart)
I do not have a lot of support data past the late 1700s therefore all has to be treated with caution. The naming of the children has been a huge help plus James's Tait's family name of Graham was handed down within the family in Tasmania.. He and his brother, Robert both applied for a replacement of their sailing indentures and gave their details on the records of which I have a copy. Hope this is some help and if you have information that can help me then I would be most grateful. I do have Census data and death certificates plus marriages. Dell Downunder.

Offline elizabethh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 February 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Good morning and a big thank-you for your information.  I will look at this thoroghly this weekend and get back to you with my findings. Elizabeth

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 February 08 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon
Taking up your very kind  offer. Hope things are going well with your research. I too have hit a brick wall. My maternal gt gt granparents James Hastie b c 1811 and Rachel Clarke b c 1807 both  in Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed. I can't find a marriage or any info on their parents or siblings. They had children all born in Tweedmouth.
Many thanks and much appreciated
Heather

Offline ndpaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Elizabethh, I also realised that the date of your gr gr gr grandfather's death occurred in the 1800s not the 1900s but it may confuse others. There is also a Berwick Upon Tweed Directory 1806 in existence and it mentions many of our names including the Grahams. Taits, Dicksons/Dixon/Dickenson. Just wanted to make you aware of it and it can be downloaded from the Northumbria site. Gavin Cairns  prepared the small book for use on the internet as a tribute to his gr gr gr grandfather who was a baker in Berwick Upon Tweed. Look forward to hearing from you  Dell Downunder

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 April 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Gosh this is an old post so a very long shot but I hope worth a shot
Is it possible that you can check for a marriage between James Logan and ? Edmeston she is known as Jess on their daughters birth certificate in 1838 but could have been Jane, Jean, Janet or even Joan as these names seem to be interchangeable under Scottish ideals
I have my fingers and toes crossed The daughter Catherine Logan seems to have grown up with an unrelated  family so it is possible that Jess died before 1841 We are waiting for a death certificate for a Jane Logan who died in 1840 in case it is her.
Trees really stuck with this direct line family  ??? ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.