Author Topic: Adoption in the early 1800's  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Adoption in the early 1800's
« on: Tuesday 11 July 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

There are two daughters of my gt gt gt gt grandmother both born in Wing, Bucks, who I think were not born to my gt gt gt gt grandfather, but who do have his surname in the censii and on their marriage certs.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me if adoption was a normal practise back in the early 1800's and if there would be any documented reference to it in any records? If so where could I look to find them?
The adoptions probably happened in Wing, Bucks, sometime between 1820 and 1830 maybe?

Or is it possible that children would take on the surname of a step-father when the mother married without formal adoption?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts
Kind regards
Marion

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption in the early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 12:23 BST (UK) »
There weren't any official records back then.  It was very common to take on the surname of a step-father, particularly if the earlier children had been illegitimate.  Or to show up with the step-father's surname in censuses but then revert to the original father's surname later.

All you can really do is try to find their baptism records (+ first marriage and death of first husband if the gt gt gt gt grandmother was married before).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Happy Flowergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose for your help.
Back to the drawing board I suppose, finding these girl's baptisms is nigh on impossible when I don't know their original surnames!! oh well... lol
Thanks again
Marion

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
I would have thought that their 'original' surnames would be the same as their mothers surname prior to her marriage whether she was married before or not. ie they would take her surname at the time of birth. If you can trace her marriage record, then it may give a clue as to her previous marital status. As for finding out their fathers name, that depends. If they were illigitamate, then the fathers name may not have been revealed, and so their baptismal records may not give you the information you require.
 happy hunting

MM