Author Topic: help to read this please  (Read 11362 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help to read this please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 19:55 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look later this evening Jacki. I can usually  come up with something. Don't fret  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
thank you heaps Gadget, it is so hard to read some of these handwritings... especially when you try and match up with somewhere and you end up getting no where on any site that may have your interpretation.
kindest regards
Jacki
Culley, Cully, McLeish, McIntosh, Robertson, McCord, Webster, Alexander, Brown, MacIntosh, Alexander, MacLeish, Calder, Mitchell, Brown, Gerrie, Gethins, McGlone, Cassidy, Collins, Gaffney, Cruickshank, Whittet, McKenna, Armstrong, Gality, Connelly, Law, Torbett, Pyott, Johnston, Johnstone, Burnett, Fraser, McDonald, MacDonald, Young, Duncan, Fleeming, McPherson, MacPherson

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
thank you all for trying to help me decipher my 2nd g grandparents' names. I have been looking and looking at it and then put it away then i bring it up again and try again...... so totally confusing... again thank you one and all...... kindest regards to you all
jacki
Culley, Cully, McLeish, McIntosh, Robertson, McCord, Webster, Alexander, Brown, MacIntosh, Alexander, MacLeish, Calder, Mitchell, Brown, Gerrie, Gethins, McGlone, Cassidy, Collins, Gaffney, Cruickshank, Whittet, McKenna, Armstrong, Gality, Connelly, Law, Torbett, Pyott, Johnston, Johnstone, Burnett, Fraser, McDonald, MacDonald, Young, Duncan, Fleeming, McPherson, MacPherson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacki

I've found Patrick's death cert - 10th July 1891, aged 47. General Labourer married to Mary McGlone.

His parents were - Michael Gethins (dec) and Catherine Callaly (dec). He was living at 11 Cowgate, Dundee. Died of pneumonia. Son James was the informant.

Now we need a census to find where he was born - possibly Ireland?

I'll go check Mary next.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Mary Gethins (nee McGlone), widow of Patrick Gethins, general labourer, died 25 October 1905, aged 56. Her parents were James McGone, mason (journeyman) (dec) and Catherine, MS McGuire. She died of pneumonia in the Parochial Hospital, Dundee. The informant was son James.

Now you need a census to find their place of birth - can you access Scotlands People - you'd get them on the 1891 in Dundee - probably 11 Cowgate - St Andrews ward/district.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
As I thought - both born Ireland  :)

Gadget - glad we got that sorted  :D

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
now i am totally confused...... if he died at the age of 47, in 1891 on his marriage certificate it says he was 25 in 1863........ am i being dumb????

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:37 BST (UK) »
sorry Gadget to confuse you too, also, you said his mother's name was Catherine, on the marriage cert it says Mary  ??? am i loosing the plot??? ???

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
I read it as 23 Jacki - which makes him circa 1840, if he was born late on in the year, he could have been 48 later in 1891 which would make him born circa 1843. Possibly wanted to appear older. Census 1891 has him as 50 - so son James may have not known. Age on death certs are only a rought guide.

Death cert says Catherine -  young James may have been confused.

It's your man though  ;)

Gadget