Author Topic: help to read this please  (Read 11364 times)

Offline charmedc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help to read this please
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
oh thank you so much for that.......... with Mary - now on the marriage certificate it says her mum's name is Ann ????
Culley, Cully, McLeish, McIntosh, Robertson, McCord, Webster, Alexander, Brown, MacIntosh, Alexander, MacLeish, Calder, Mitchell, Brown, Gerrie, Gethins, McGlone, Cassidy, Collins, Gaffney, Cruickshank, Whittet, McKenna, Armstrong, Gality, Connelly, Law, Torbett, Pyott, Johnston, Johnstone, Burnett, Fraser, McDonald, MacDonald, Young, Duncan, Fleeming, McPherson, MacPherson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 21:13 BST (UK) »
Jacki

I seem to think that that young James has a lot to answer for  :D

It's definitely Catherine on the death cert. How to check? Problem is that they probably stayed in Ireland. You could, perhaps check the 1851 or 1861 censuses for Mary McGlone and Patrick Gethins just to see if they were in Scotland and if they were with parents - that's the only way I can think of resolving it. Otherwise it's Ireland  :-\

At least the fathers' names are consistent.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 July 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
This is my final interpretation :o my eyes are giving out on me. Good luck, Sue
After banns according
to the terms of the
Roman Catholic Church.

The standard phrase is 'according to the forms of ...'
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 July 06 13:30 BST (UK) »
now i am totally confused...... if he died at the age of 47, in 1891 on his marriage certificate it says he was 25 in 1863........ am i being dumb????

No, not at all. But as he couldn't read and write (you know this because he signed his marriage certificate with a 'x') he (a) may not actually have know how old he really was and (b) would not have been able to check whether the registrarwrote down the right number.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 July 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Think that his son James,who gave the info on his death cert. could read and write.  Best read the thread. We've gone forward quite away since yesterday  ;D

They were both born Ireland and parents names were obtained from death certs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***