Author Topic: C.D-R & CD.R.W.  (Read 1733 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
C.D-R & CD.R.W.
« on: Thursday 13 July 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me the difference uses for these C.D.I put a load of photo's on a Recordable C.D-R Disk a few months ago.I then found they are glued on and i cant do anything with them,print maybe. I have  Grade A+C.D-R.W So would i be right in saying that one disk is for viewing only, and the other i can send photo's to a email. I have some more photo's i want to move off my P.C but not sure which disk to use :-\

celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: C.D-R & CD.R.W.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia

My understanding is that CD-R is recordable, and you record something on it once.

CD - RW is rewritable which means you can record over stuff already recorded on it.

A CD-R should not mean that you can't do anything with the images on it.  Have you tried opening them in your photo editing software ie photoshop, you should be able to do a save as and save the images back to your hard drive.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
At its most basic the description given by kerryb is spot on. Where you might be experiencing a problem is that when you burn the data to a CD the files are made read only .... ie you cannot change them without making a relatively minor change.Copy the files you want to work with to your hard drive and right click on them with the mouse.Select properties and make sure to remove the tick from the box at the bottom which says "read only" and then click on OK. Your image should now be amenable to any changes you want to make in the graphics program.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 July 06 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry & Falkyrn
i had tried to change the name of a document containing photo's,but it said the document was read only.So i just opened it to view the photo's. I took it to mean all the photo's were read only.so could only see them as single or a slide show and not be able to alter them resize and so forth i didn't try to alter them in case i made a mess. I checked the disk wasn't ticked read only and it isn't. I have now added more photo's and 1 none important one to practice on.So clicked on it then edit,it opened in an photo edit program, I added some text and a Jazzy frame ;D I had a bit of a problem with the saving of the new version (the edit program wanted it)but i renamed it.After a bit of fiddling sent the new version back to the disk while still keeping the original.I have found out something new.I have to be carefull about naming photo's individually. If you have two different photo's with the same title, the second replaces the first :o Do you think the photos are safer on C.D-R Rather than the R.W one where they might get accidentally overwritten I am new to this disk saving so don't want to mess up.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 July 06 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I always keep my images on CD-Rs for that very reason, they are too precious to me for an accidental mistake.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline arnietheother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 July 06 17:00 BST (UK) »
I think that CD-Rs are predicted to retain their data longer than CD-RWs, but neither have the long-term stability of a hard disk drive.  A hard disk copy can be overwritten though. 
I back up my photos onto CD-R and also back up data onto a removable usb disk. 
I aim to never be in the position where the CD copy is the only copy (otherwise it is not a backup). 
Arnie.

Paul E

« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 July 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
And for extra security, why not upload your photos to a free web host like gmail, which has a huge capacity and will be there in the heavans should (god forbid) you suffer theft or damage to your CDs / hard disk or USB drive?

cheers

Paul

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just thought i would let you all know i have been having a whale of a time with my new interest of using C.D'S I had a lot of photo's  of various types.Some documents, and other stuff of historical interest. That i wanted to keep,but didn't want them on my computer. So for practice, I started copying all the pubs from the Cheshire directories  ( 8 of them)Page by Page with numbered pages 1 two whatever ;D I saved these in my documents (separate ones) then sent them to the disk in order.Only they didn't arrive in order :( Because i couldn't alter it i just made adjustments to each batch i sent it to the disk till i got it right. I have now refined it.Instead of sending one by one.I made a new folder. Put what i wanted into it.Then sent it to the disk, its brilliant. So now as well as a pub disk i have one for ancestors and family photo's, plus more recent ones, Street Directories, and the latest is one for Old post cards. So the big lesson i have learned is, Save it, check it, and  fix it before you send it. Especially if you are using numbers. because the computer puts them on the disk in order of the first number or letter 1- A. my does anyway :).

Celia. now to get by firewall sorted
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
So now as well as a pub disk

A very interesting disk  ;D ;D

I hope you never need to use these back up disks and that your machine remains healthy