Author Topic: C:\WINDOWS\system32  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 August 06 15:32 BST (UK) »
I dont know that because my IT Manager at work did it for me ???
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 August 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
I guess its time for a quick phone call then.  :(

Another thing to do is see if you can obtain 5 years worth of updates from Microsoft.

That is the problem with reinstalling.  You then have to download all those updates in order to bring your version of Windows back up-to-date.  In your case that may mean reinstalling SP1 and SP2 plus about 100 security updates!

Obviously if Microsoft says that you do not have a genuine copy of Windows you will be completely stuffed right from the beginning.

doenside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 August 06 16:48 BST (UK) »
Since speaking to you before I have received these updates

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -Aug. 2006

Malicious software was detected on your computer but could not be removed by this tool
I dont have a clue what I am doing and its the Bank Holiday weekend so I will have to wait until Tuesday now ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Your computer is not up to date with the latest version of Windows XP. Upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) today to help keep your computer secure (it's free!). Below is what you need to know to upgrade.

Learn more about the Support Lifecycle of Microsoft products to help keep your products up to date.

(Note: After October 10, 2006, Windows XP Service Pack 1 will transition to a non-supported status. Upgrade to Windows XP SP2 now for continued security updates and incident support.)

Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 August 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
HELP

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 August 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

Your IT Manager may have installed a legitimate copy of Windows XP on your computer.  Legitimate in the sense that the company he works for may have bought a license to install it on a number of PCs throughout the company.  Whether he has exceeded the terms of the license is another matter.  It is a question of whether Microsoft sees your copy as genuine or not.

Do you actually have any problems running anything - apart from Windows update?

Have you setup Windows Update to automatically download updates?  If so it should download certain files at various times, it is a matter of dependency.  Sometimes you may get an update that contains 35 files in one go and at other times it will download just one.  It has to download them in chronological order as each download is dependent on the previous download.  This process could take a few days epecially if you installed an old copy of Windows XP.

The main file you have to watch out for is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool (WGA).

That is the file that will test to see if you have a genuine copy of Windows on your PC.  You may want to read up about this WGA as certain groups are concerned about it and I believe there are ways of circumventing it.  Microsoft bowed to international pressure and released details of an uninstall tool at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

while reserving the right to place WGA on your computer when delivering future automatic updates.

downside

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 August 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
HERE IS THE FULL ARTICLE ABOUT WGA:

From a Sunday Times article written July 2006

Microsoft has recently and controversally introduced a piece of spyware that installs itself on yourcomputer during a routine security update.  Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) software checks the version of Windows you are using every time you start up your PC and communicates the information to a centralised Microsoft Computer by "phoning home", which is particularly intrusive.
Last Week, Microsoft bowed to international pressure and released details of an uninstall tool at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914 while reserving the right to place WGA on your computer when delivering future automatic updates.  Worse still, the software incorrectly identifies one in five Windows installations as pirated, and there is talk that, in future, the WGA tool may disable your computer if it thinks you are running an unauthorised version.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 August 06 19:01 BST (UK) »
There are seperate problems here

1. The windows installation has service pack 1 installed .... the current version if you want to be fully secure is Service Pack 2 (SP2).

2. and possibly of more immediate concern is the malicious software detected by defender
Malicious software was detected on your computer but could not be removed by this tool

we need to identify this item (and it won't be WGA despite the Sunday Times article - I used to think that journalists actually researched stories before rushing into print  :o )
You should download and install the likes of Spybot S & D from
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

and it wouldn't do any harm to get and run adaware as well from
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

both are free and are good tools.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 August 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

You seem to be getting some advice here - hope it all makes sense.

Sorry I couldn't help you myself - although I am the moderator of this technical board my knowledge pales into insignificance next to Falkyrn's.  I am sure if you follow his advice to the letter you will soon be sorted.

Incidentally I use both the pieces of software he suggests above and find them to be very effective.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 August 06 22:09 BST (UK) »
I dont really know what I am doing I dont want to install or download anything in case my computer gets infected again

When it has asked me to install service pack 2 it told me to back up my computer ??? first and close all windows