Author Topic: GEDDES family of Banffshire  (Read 42051 times)

Offline denisejo1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEDDES family of Banffshire
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 09 January 11 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Thanks for your info.  Your James Geddes could be the same one ... will need to try to get copies from registry etc.  Will look into and keep you informed.  Thanks again

Regards
Denise  :)

Offline biglemontree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 19 June 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi to Jim and Debbie
I have come across this by chance but a huge coincidence.My grand dad was James Geddes(siblings George+Anne) from Banif born around 1899 and his son (marriage to Margret geddes ? Also his mum was a Margret geddes) Jimmy(Siblings- Alexander(sandy)Ian(Joe-Blondie)Cathrine(Cathy)) Geddes  moved to Canada early 1950? His second marrage was to my gran Elizabeth Howie Children were Janet,Annette,Elizabeth Anne and Maureen Moved to Dunblame as a youngster and settled in Menstrie 1947 ish. Would be great if related as this was total chance.
Thanks from Another James McLean(Son of Annette).

Offline Jimbo of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi James,
  I can't put your James Geddes (1899) in my lineage as yet. My James born 1877 in Fordyce Banff did have some children by two marriages, as I've stated previously, but I don't have a confirmed son James born 1899. His son Alexander (Sandy) was born 1915 and died in North Africa in 1943. 
   Do you know who your Grandad James' parents were and their dates and places of birth?
   The only Geddes I know that moved to Canada was my grandmother Jessie born 1882.

Jim
Renfrewshire - McGill, McFie,Milne,Dow,Beattie
Dms - Proudfoot,Marchbank,Bell,Beattie,Millar,
Dickson,Cumming,Halliday,Colvin,Geddes,Tod
Banffshire - Geddes,Spalding,Flett,Duthie,Milne,Wallace
Ontario - McGill,Weir,Herrick,Lessard,

Offline biglemontree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim I will try and find out more about my grandad He was born arround 1890.reply soon cheers James Mc

Offline Jimbo of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 14 February 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
  Looking for info on the parents of JOHN GEDDES b. 1753 Banffshire who was married to ANN CHAPMAN b. 1760 Urquhart Moray.
Renfrewshire - McGill, McFie,Milne,Dow,Beattie
Dms - Proudfoot,Marchbank,Bell,Beattie,Millar,
Dickson,Cumming,Halliday,Colvin,Geddes,Tod
Banffshire - Geddes,Spalding,Flett,Duthie,Milne,Wallace
Ontario - McGill,Weir,Herrick,Lessard,

Offline Whenu

• RootsChat Senior
  • Find a purpose in life, be a bad example
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have a Margaret Geddes b. 1793; m. William Innes, d. 1875 , parents George Geddes and  Helen Runcie.
Anyonr have info on this family? Thanks, Lance.
Reid, Coull, Sutherland,Innes. Banff, Scotland
Reed, Tullamore to Sydney, Oz
Joyce, Cork to Sydney, Oz
Havard, Pembroke
Gentry, Gt. Totham, Essex
Hatcher,Essex?
Ebden, Thorncombe, Devon
Boon, Thorncombe, Devon
Osbourne, Aveton Gifford, Devon
Eades, Stafford
Stratton, Bannockrigg, Cockpen, Midlothian, Scotland
de St Laurent,  Malon Normandy France

H118907 Gedmatch
A301340  Ancestry gedmatch

Offline James Gaddis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 25 January 20 00:59 GMT (UK) »
First time posting. Can anyone verify this baptismal record and tell if this William Geddes migrated to the American colonies? He is thought to be William Gaddis of Hampshire Co, Virginia (now West Virginia) who died there in 1773.

Name: William Geddes
Baptism Date: 4 Sep 1718
Baptism Place: Boyndie, Banff, Scotland
Father: James Geddes
FHL Film Number: 990820

Baptism of this William Geddes' father

Name: James Geddes
Baptism Date: 5 Sep 1668
Baptism Place: Elgin, Moray, Scotland
Father: Alex. Geddes
Mother: Janet Hamultoune
FHL Film Number: 990798, 990799

Baptism info of this William Geddes' mother:

Name: Margarit Jackson
Baptism Date: 12 May 1678
Baptism Place: Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Father: Patrik Jackson
Mother: Margarit Gemmell
FHL Film Number: 1066679
Reference ID: 2:182MP4T

Thanks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:57 GMT (UK) »
First, you can verify all three of these baptisms by viewing the original documents at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

What you cannot so easily verify is whether James Geddes and Margaret Jackson are the geuine parents of William Geddes. Do you have independent evidence to confirm this?

The problem is that by the time you get back to 1718, there are more and more gaps in the records. Record-keeping was poor and some records have been lost since then, so even if there is only one recorded person who might fit your ancestor, you cannot assume that this is the right person.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 25 January 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
James Gaddis,

The parentage of William Gaddis comes up, with the same claims repeated again and again without any supporting evidence, although it's the first time I've seen him being born in Boyndie. Has new evidence turned up? And there's another William Geddes bpt 13 Mar 1715 also in Boyndie, so why is one chosen over the other? 

The most considered summing up I've seen is:
"This family was founded in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, by Robert, John, Henry, and Thomas Gaddis, sons of William Gaddis, who came from Apple Pie Ridge, near Winchester, Virginia, to Fayette county, about the year 1780. William Gaddis was of Irish parentage, and probably came to Frederick county, Virginia, with the Irish immigration of 1737-40; at all events he was a landholder in 1750, as transfers show. He married Priscilla, daughter of Henry Bowen, who survived him, and after her husband's death joined her children in Fayette county." - "Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette County Pennsylvania, Volumes I-II:".

The variation on Geddes of Gaddis seems to me to be always Irish based and never Scottish based.

However, re William Geddes bpt 4 Sep 1718: he was born in Blackpots, Boyndie to James Geddes & Anne Smith. Analysis of the OPR shows there were three contemporary family groups: John Geddes & Helen Hacket, James Geddes & Anne Smith, and William Geddes & Jean Smith.

I believe they were brothers. John Geddes ended up in Nether Dallachy farm and James Geddes in Upper Dallachy farm, implying they were by then farmers. William Geddes flitted around, implying he was a farm labourer. They seem to have their origins in Whitehills, maybe even Blackpots itself, and spread out into the hinterland. Blackpots in particular suggests seafolk connections, strengthened by witnesses being fisherfolk Watsons and Lovies in Whitehills, Boyndie

There's no evidence of emigration of anyone in these three families, although that's not to say it didn't happen. But there are one or two hints that some in these families moved to nearby Auchmore, with a William Geddes there in 1752 and later, who could be one of the two from Boyndie. With all these possibilities and uncertainties, it's more likely for Boyndie's William Geddes to have moved a couple of miles to Auchmore than a couple of thousand miles across the Atlantic. Unless there's evidence.

It's a poser for you James!