Author Topic: Wilson/Aitken family of Polmont  (Read 11561 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wilson/Aitken family of Polmont
« on: Friday 14 July 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the following family:

James Wilson married to Agnes Aitken in 1804 at Polmont.  Children were all born in Polmont as follows:

James b15 Jun 1815
John b20 Oct 1816
David b25 Apr 1818
May b25 Feb 1820
Thomas b15 Jan 1822
Agnes b10 Dec 1828

Grateful for any assistance with this.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/Aitken family of Polmont
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra

1841 - Polmont, Stirlingshire 
PARISH : 487, ED: 4
ADDRESS: Muir park
James WILSON 49, Coal Miner - Y
Agnes WILSON 41 - Y
David WILSON 23, Coal Miner - Y
Mary WILSON 21 - Y
Thomas WILSON 19, Coal Miner - Y
Agnes WILSON 12 - Y

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this. 

Since my original posting I have discovered that James Wilson married Agnes Aitken on 26 Jan 1812 at Falkirk (not 1804). The Banns were also read at Polmont.

Going by her age in the census this would make her about 12yrs old at the time of the marriage.  This discrepancy is probably due to the fact that ages were not recorded accurately in the 1841 census.

What I would like to discover is the birth of Agnes Aitken.  If anyone has any ideas about this I would be grateful for any assistance.

:)

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Dano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra,

Don't know if I am correct but I have Agnes Aitken b 1788 Slamannan to John Aitken & Mary Marshall.   

18/05/1788 AIKEN AGNES JOHN AIKEN/MARY MARSHALL FR446 U SLAMANNAN 489/00 0002

I have the original '41 census rather than a transcript and Agnes is actually listed as 49 the same age as James.  They are living next door to their son John now married to Anne ? with children Anne 2 & James 1 month.

I have James as born in 1788 Falkirk

14/09/1788 WILSON JAMES JAMES WILSON/JEAN GAFF FRCH2V17 U FALKIRK 479/00 0004

If I am correct about who they are, the census would have to be out by 4 years for both of them.  What do you think?

Dano
Stirlingshire, Scotland - Aitken, Waddell, Wilson, Rae, Dunlop, Liddell, McLuckie. Laird
Carmarthen, Wales - Lewis
Carvan, Ireland - Coyle
N.S.W. Australia - Lewis, Morris

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 September 06 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Dano

Thank you for this.

I had Agnes Aitken b1788 already but had not previously considered her as the spouse of James Wilson.

Given the info that you have provided regarding her age on the 1841 census I think that you are probably correct - there can't have been too many Agnes Aitkens and James Wilsons in the area who were of the same age.

I will go with this for now unless anyone has any new information.

Thanks again

;)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 September 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Dano! I thought you might pop up with invaluable info  ;D ;D
And I should have mentioned sorry, that my 1841 Transcription is indeed from another transcription, not the original images.

For what it's worth, I was already considering that her parents would likely be Father: John (2nd born son) and Mother: Mary (1st born daughter).

And his would be: Father: James (1st born  son) and Mother ? ? ? (2nd born daughter)*

* It looks like there is children missing after Thomas and before Agnes - possibly a son and a daughter, but at least a 2nd born daughter (named Jean/Jane/Jannet/Jennet?)  leaving the 3rd born daughter as Agnes born 1828 named after her mother.

Naming patterns not always adhered to, and can also be confusing if the parents are named after their own parents - but overall the Scots namng pattern was often closely followed and can be a valuable tool.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline satyadasa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 07 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I have no further info on this family at this early time (only descendants - David (b. 1818)'s wife Agnes Easton and two children (Peter b. 1852 and David b. 1855) who emigrated), but thank you all for the info posted here!

I have a further question about the location recorded in the 1841 census, Muir Park.  A search for "Muir Park" and "Polmont" together only results in this page and a reference to a farm in Bannockburn, and "Muir Park" and "Stirlingshire" is also not helpful.   Where is Muir Park?  In 1851 and 1861 the family of David is listed as living in Shieldhill and E. Shieldhill.

Thanks!

Offline Dano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I would be very intersested on any information on David & Agnes Easton's children.  Where did they emigrate to and when. How do you know that this David married Agnes Easton and which Agnes Easton is she?

Cheers
Dano 
Stirlingshire, Scotland - Aitken, Waddell, Wilson, Rae, Dunlop, Liddell, McLuckie. Laird
Carmarthen, Wales - Lewis
Carvan, Ireland - Coyle
N.S.W. Australia - Lewis, Morris

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

See this old Rootweb topic re: location of Muir Park (or Muirpark)
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-STIRLINGSHIRE/1999-10/0939285379

I would appear to have been  - still is - in the Bannockburn area.
You will get more hits if you search as "muirpark"  - no space

http://shrinkalink.com/8320
QUOTE"......route takes you through upland grassland andheath habitats to a high point of 330 metres, ............views over the Carse of Stirling and beyond.  Keeping left at the turn-off for the North Third reservoir,heading towards Carronbridge, you will drive past the fields of Muirpark Farm......................" UNQUOTE

This page gives contact details of a present-day resident of "Muirpark"  - there are two listings, same people - one as simply "Muirpark" the other as "Muirpark Farm"
http://www.locallife.co.uk/stirling/farmers3.asp?pageno=2

And:
http://www.thegrandboys.co.uk/thanks.html

Also see:
http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/towns/townhistory323.html

And also see the Genuli pages for more general area info:
http://www.dgnscrn.demon.co.uk/genuki/STI/Polmont/index.html

Hope this helps!
Cheers  ;D
AMBLY