Author Topic: Smalley people - HALLSWORTH; CRESWELL; ROE; WOOLLANDS; WOOLLEY et al  (Read 12977 times)

Offline penna

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Smalley people - HALLSWORTH; CRESWELL; ROE; WOOLLANDS; WOOLLEY et al
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 November 07 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chilibear,
Icould kick myself for not having seen your Blakey 1851 posting - it would have saved me some time  ;)

Hi Penna,

Thanks for your time.  My initial query was a little random; I was just curious to know if you knew of any of these people.  I had come across your Smalley pages and found them really interesting - my mother-in-law was amazed that her little village is on the Internet!  I cannot wait to see the additions to your pages.
I have just loaded the amended Woolley pages -

As you will see, I did find most of the connections & information, with the exception of that dratted 1851 census for Mary Blakey!

I had found William Ottewell on your website some time ago, but really cannot work out the link.  Hugh and Charles Blakey seem to have been brought up by William and Ann Ottewell.  However, the information on your website suggests that none of the siblings of William married a Blakey.
I am still working on that but it may take a while!

Maybe they were connected through the twins mother.  I have another posting asking specifically about Hugh and Charles Blakey.  From this I have established that their mother was Mary (surname unknown) and had a couple of daughters.  She died before 1851.  I have ordered her death certificate and the birth and marriage certificates of Charles Blakey on the off-chance that there is a clue there.  There father was Charles Hugh Blakey and that is all I know about him!
Hopefully you will get something from the certs; it doesn't help that the IG doesn't have any Blakey marriages and that the Horsley Phillimore Marriages end at 1812.

Also in 1841, William and Ann Ottewell are at the same address as an Ann Blakey, aged 4.  However, I do not know who she is either.  I do not think that she is a daughter of Charles Hugh and Mary Blakey.
I agree, as there is an Ann on the IGI, d/o William & Mary Blakey baptised on 30 April 1837 at Horsley; but I have included her with Mary & family for the time being.

I will get back to you if & when I find anything else.
Patrisia RIP 2010
http://web.archive.org/web/20100707030740/http://www.smalley-ops.co.uk/smalleyops.html

DBY: CARRINGTON; Cresswell; Beneson; Buxton; Wright; Mee; Marriott; Oldknow; Holbrook; Martin; Turton; Kerry; Woollands
OXF: TYRRELL
SOM: VEALE; Collings; Binsome; Creedy; Beames; Stoward
WIL: BESZANT; Andrews; Headford; Brabbins; Guy; Dickman
LONDON: CUMMING; Osborn
CARMARTHEN: REES; Morgan

Offline penna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 November 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Re the Ottewell/Blakey connection - I think I may have found a clue!
Mary Ottewell = Isaac FISHER 14 Feb 1830 at Duffield, probably Ann (Hannah) FISHER Ottewell's brother?
I'm still working on it but I have to go out soon; more perhaps this evening!
Patrisia RIP 2010
http://web.archive.org/web/20100707030740/http://www.smalley-ops.co.uk/smalleyops.html

DBY: CARRINGTON; Cresswell; Beneson; Buxton; Wright; Mee; Marriott; Oldknow; Holbrook; Martin; Turton; Kerry; Woollands

Offline penna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 November 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »
OK, I admit defeat; after two days of exploring every possible permutation, I'm no further forward in linking Mary Blakey to William Ottewell!
Well, not strictly true; I have found the siblings & parents of Ann Fisher Ottewell.
Charles Fisher = Prudence Wright 10 Jan 1774 at Horsley (Phillimore)
Their children were (all from the IGI) -
Martha 1774
Prudence 1779
Grace 1782, who married a Joseph Ottewell in 1801!
Charles 1784
Hannah 1787
Joseph 1790
Isaac 1795
Joseph 1795
Anne 1803

BTW, Charles Kerry notes that all the children of William Ottewell & Anne died in infancy. So it would seem that all the children that appear on the census with William & Anne, whether Blakey or Ottewell, could be 'foster' children.

Isaac Fisher turned out to be a red herring, even though an interesting character. He seems to have had a large number of children and three wives.

Charles bapt 7 March 1829 age 13
John bapt 1 June 1821 age 3
Joseph bapt 1 June 1821 aged 1
Prudence bapt 7 March 1829 age 6
Hannah bapt 7 March 1829 age 3
Elijah bapt 6 Nov 1831
Louisa bapt 2 Dec 1832
Mira bapt 19 April 1835
Samuel 24 Dec 1837

If correct, his wives were -
Mary Raynes, 2 April 1815 at Horsley
Sarah Rigley, 30 May 1822 at Duffield
Mary Ottewell, 14 Feb 1830 at Duffield

I had thought at first that Isaac Fisher had popped his clogs, and a still young Mary Ottewell Fisher might have married Blakey; but not so. He is still around in 1861, though a widower, with several grandchildren, via son Joseph.

Just to add to the complex mix, there is also an Isaac Ottewell around in 1841. Both he and Mary Ottewell are said to be children of John Ottewell & Hannah Cresswell (Oh no, not them again!) but these entries are IG LDS submissions.

So, I'm afraid until someone (not me at the moment) can set up camp in Derby RO, or their nearest FHS library, and transcribe the Horsley PRs, we are just going round in circles!

I do so like a challenge but I must admit, this one has got me beat for now!
Patrisia RIP 2010

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penna,

Thanks for all that work!  It's a shame not to be able to solve the mystery, but maybe that information will be useful to solve someone else's question.  Still waiting for certificates to arrive and hoping that there will be some useful information there.

Chilibear
Merrall, Ayres, Waterfield, Cotton - Leicester
Slater - Leicester, Derbyshire, Buckinghamshire
Blakey, Moult - Derbyshire

Offline penna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry, I enjoyed searching  ;)
I look forward to hearing about the certificates.
Regards
Patrisia RIP 2010

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 December 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Certificates have arrived and open up more questions than they solve.

Birth certificate of Charles Blakey: born at 7 half minutes past 4 o'clock on 15 Jan 1845 (therefore the younger twin); no father's name given; mother: Mary Blakey, Horsley Woodhouse.

I am guessing that this makes Charles illegitimate - two reasons: there is no father and Mary does not have a maiden name, only Blakey.

Marriage certificate of Charles Blakey and Elizabeth Mitchell: married on 7 Mar 1870; both full age and living at Horsley Woodhouse; he was a bachelor and a nail maker, his father was Charles Hurst?, a labourer; she was a spinster and  fwk, her father was Zephariah Buon?, a coalminer.  The witnesses were Hugh Blakey and Ann Wood.

I do not think that it says Charles Hugh; the surname is normally given and Blakey is not there.  Secondly the second name (Hugh/ Hurst) does not have any letters below the line, therefore cannot be Hugh.  If they were illegitimate, it would make sense that they have their mother's name, not their father's.

It also looks like I have a problem with Elizabeth Mitchell, whose father's surname is not Mitchell, so may be she is illegitimate as well!  I can find an Elizabeth Mitchell of the right age in Horsley Woodhouse on the 1851 and 1861 census's (Class: HO107; Piece: 2144; Folio 308, p. 9 and Class: RG9; Piece: 2508; Folio 99, p. 20) who is the daughter-in-law of Samuel and Elizabeth Wood (I assume that means step-daughter).  They also have a daughter Ann Wood; she might be the witness.

The death certificate for Mary Blakey (1852 (A-M-J); Belper, Derbyshire; Vol. 7b; p. 251) states that she died on 15 May 1852 at Horsley Woodhouse, aged 38 years.  She was the wife of William Blakey, labourer.  The informant was a Sarah Ottewell.  So it does not seem that this is the same Mary Blakey and I cannot find another who died between 1851 and 1861 in Horsley Woodhouse on Ancestry.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Chilibear.
Merrall, Ayres, Waterfield, Cotton - Leicester
Slater - Leicester, Derbyshire, Buckinghamshire
Blakey, Moult - Derbyshire

Offline jasonh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 August 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am currently researching my buxton family tree and a member of my tree george buxton 1874 loscoe married a clara florence cresswell 1871, any info on my buxton familt tree? Thanks

Offline jasonh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 31 August 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
I'm sure there was also links to the woolleys aswel,sure I came across a marriage from a buxton to a woolley

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 August 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Patrisia passed away a few years ago.  I don't know where all her research and information went to and her website is no longer active.  Sorry.

Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley