Author Topic: Making contact with strangers  (Read 7774 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Making contact with strangers
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 April 05 08:43 BST (UK) »
I've just finished putting a book together on my paternal line. Its not only names and dates, but info about the towns, and living conditions at the time, with a list of queries I'd like to have answered. As an appendix, I attached all the relevant census information, info from the NBI, Parish records etc. and finally the family tree.

I have a fair few names of people of my parents generation, mostly cousins of my dads, but all strangers to me and my dad.

I printed off the particular branch where their name crops up, wrote a letter introducing myself, what I'd done and asking them to have a look through the file. In an envelope and in the post.

Altogether I sent off 8 packages.

Within a week I'd had a phone call from all but one (and that one is excused, as he's dads uncle, nearly 90 and lives in Oz)

Since then I have been sent back the files I distributed, with corrections and amendments and have been inundated with photos, church orders of service, copies of certificates, but also with phone calls from other cousins wanting to get in on the action.

So all in all it has been very worthwhile. The responses have been excellent and I've doubled my Xmas card list.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Michelle Kemp

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 15 April 05 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryb

I know that in this game we want answers now, but be patient i am sure she will reply soon, maybe she is on holiday somewhere.

Hope she replys soon.

Michelle
Humphries -West Bromwich, Hamstead Birmingham
Wilkes - West Bromwich, Hamstead Birmingham
Roche -West Bromwich, Cheltenham
Pitt -West Bromwich
Sedgley -West Bromwich
Roberts- Dorset
Kitching- Yorkshire, County Durham
Knight -West Bromwich

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 April 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Michelle

Of course you are totally right, and I am trying to be patient, I'm just champing at the bit with this family line!

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 April 05 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have no problem contacting people, recently I contacted a man in the States that was researching my husband's line, it turned out that he was also married into the family and that his wife was my husbands second cousin, it's a small world. We have share an awful lot of information and it was defiantly worth getting in contact.
I too have found that patience is a necessity when contacting people as some take a long time to respond and others never do. I often think that some genealogy emails go straight into the junk mail boxes (well that's what I'm going to keep telling myself ;D )
Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk