Author Topic: Spary/Sparry&Crouch/Sperry  (Read 4596 times)

Offline KevinS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spary/Sparry&Crouch/Sperry
« on: Sunday 16 July 06 02:01 BST (UK) »
"Sandie sent me".  I have recently traced my U.S. "Sperry" name back to a Christening record for JANE CROUCH, dated 30 DEC. 1781, her parents on this record are John and Jane Crouch.  I then found a marriage record for Benjamin and Jane (Crouch) Spary dated the 10 JULY 1803 in Deverill-Longbridge, Wiltshire, England.  I know they had a son, my g.g.grandfather, also named Benjamin.  I have found this younger Benjamin listed as "Benjamin Sperry", age 25, collier in the 1841 census for Trevethan, Abersychan, Wales (Trevethan Transcripts).  This would give approx. birth abt 1816/17.  I also found in the "Trevethan Transcripts" the deaths of Jane and the elder Benjamin.  They are recorded as JANE SPARRY 10 MAY 1840,age 59, ABERSYCGAN PF (Pontypool) Wales.  The elder Benjamin is noted as Benjamin Sparry and dated 7 JUNE 1848,  age 62,Union House (Pontypool, Wales)  I also found the elder Benjamin's death recorded in the England and Wales Death Index as"Benjamin Sperring"
 The younger Benjamin Sperry married Sarah Palmer (parents John and Anne Palmer) on 3 NOV. 1843 in parish of Mamhilad, Monmouth, Wales.  Benjamin and Sarah's first three children in Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales "MaryAnn, Jabez(my g,grandpap) and Joshua.  Benjamin, Sarah, three children and Sarah's parents, John and Anne Palmer arrived in Philadelphia, PA. on 20 Aug 1850. Settling in Frostburg, Allegany, Maryland; where Benjamin and Sarah would have five more children.
*I need help locating any other children Benjamin and Jane (Crouch) Spary/Sparry had other than the younger Benjamin, my g.g.grandfather.
*I would like to find the elder Benjamin Spary/Sparry birth/christening, parents etc.     
ANY, ANY help is greatly appreciated! 

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Spary/Sparry&Crouch/Sperry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Do you know what parish Jane Crouch was baptised in?   I guess it may have been Deverill-Longbridge  Do you know where the younger Benjamin was born?
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline KevinS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 06 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I only recently found Jane's Christening record via the IGI.  I have the batch # and source #.  I am hoping to go to a LDS family research center this week.  So, I only know that the document I got off the net is Deverill-Longbridge. 
I know nothing about the younger Benjamin Sperry regarding where he was born.  In fact, I only assumed his birth year as 1816/17 because of his stated age of 25 in the 1841 Trevethan, Abersychan, Wales census.  The Philadelphia. 1800-1850 Pasenger and Immigration Lists Record....his declared age is 28 in 1850.
In regards to the elder Benjamin, I did come across a Christening record via the IGI  for a Benjamin Sparry in Claverley, Shropshire, England dated 25 Apr. 1784, parents James and Jane Sparry.  I am telling you this because the younger Benjamin's wife, Sarah Palmer, was born at Red Lake, Shropshire, England.
I know this is wordy, so thankyou for your patience in reading my reply!
THANKS Kevin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin
It looks very likely that Jane Crouch was born in Deverell Longbridge (DL) although not 100%.   She would appear to have been living there when she married Benjamin Spary.   
Son Benjamin's year of birth seems in some doubt as the figures don't tie up (unless I've done the maths wrong which is not unknown!).   The ages of adults in 1841 census were generally rounded down ie ages 15 - 19 shown as 15, 20 - 24 as 20 etc. so his age 25 puts year of birth between 1812 and 1816.   The passenger list puts it at 1823.
If I can find the actual marriage record in DL it should give the parish of residence of the bride and groom and names of witnesses.
If we're lucky I could find Jane's baptism in DL plus any siblings etc.
I'll have a look in the next few days.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
benjamin spary bapt 20th oct 1782 sutton veney wiltshire.parents john spary and mary.
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline KevinS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 06 14:06 BST (UK) »
Dave,
Thanks for your help! I really do appreciate it very much.  Good luck.
Regards,
Kevin

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
jane crouch bapt 30th dec 1781 deverill longbridge wilts.parents john crouch and jane.
a sister fanny also baptised deverill longbridge 27th may 1779.
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin, all info parish of Sutton Veney
Apart from the bap of Benjamin Spary in Sutton Veney listed by Alli, there was also
29 Nov 1778 Mary dau of John and Sarah Spary.
30 Jan 1780 William son of John and Sarah Spary.
also..............
7 Jun 1781 Sarah Spary was buried

Marriages
19 Apr 1778 John Spary, otp, and Sarah Screen, otp, banns 27 Jul, 3, 10 Aug 1777, witnesses Edward Imber and John Imber
5 Oct 1782 John Spery of West End in North Stoneham in county of Southampton and Mary Noake, otp, licence, witnesses Stephan Best and Jno Imber (Jno is abbreviation for JOHN)

Baptisms
11 Mar 1756 Sarah dau of Henry and Hannah Screen (could not find burial)
23 Mar 1760 Sarah dau of Henry and Hannah Screene
3 Jan 1741 Mary dau of Stephen Noke and Elizabeth

Hope that's enough to be going on with, I'll try for more tomorrow.   Also later take a look at the Crouch family of Deverell Longbridge

Just as well Alli found that Sutton Veney Bap 'cos otherwise we'd be floundering  :)   

Cheers Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 July 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,  no problem...................

In answer to your questions........
1.   Looks like John married twice
2.   Fair assumption that the Sarah who died was Mrs Spary
3.   Date 19 Apr 1778 is date of marrige, otp means 'of this parish' and banns and dates means the marriage took place by banns rather than licence and the banns were read in church on those dates.   They don't always give those dates but probably did in this case because the banns were read some time before the marriage!
4.   I meant I'LL take a look at the Crouch family.

To get copies etc it's best to contact the WSRO direct........

Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office
Libraries and Heritage Headquarters
Bythsea Road
Trowbridge
Witshire   BA14 8BS

e-mail:   wsro[at]wiltshire.gov.uk   Please replace [at] with @

Tel:   01225 713138       FAX:    01225 713515

Hope it helps, watch this space...............

Cheers Dave