Author Topic: 1841 Census Handwriting  (Read 2204 times)

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census Handwriting
« on: Sunday 16 July 06 02:33 BST (UK) »
The 1841 Scottish census for Leith contains a reference to one of my ancestors, Thomas Thomson, 20, Blacksmith Journeyman.
The actual image shows his birthplace crossed out and replaced by the general "Midlothian"connotation.

Can anyone decipher what the actual birthplace was?

Similarly for the other Thomson family members.
Janet, widow, looks like Liberton?
Janet, 4, looks like Leith?

Any 1841 handwriting experts out there who could help?
Any opinions appreciated.
Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.
My g-grandfather is David. Family moved to Isle of Dogs 1857.
Some of family settled in Hull area.

Offline sporran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello 1wycombe,

I think that it is Liberton (written as Libberton) for Janet, followed by 3 offspring in Edin(burgh) and then 1 in Leith.

Regards,

John

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you John,

You're right, it does look like Libberton but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Libberton near Glasgow whereas Liberton is next to Leith/Edinburgh?

It seems a bit strange that most of this Thomson family are from the Edinburgh area, except the widow Janet from Glasgow. It's possible the census-taker simply miss-spelled Liberton as Libberton, but as yet I have no way of checking.

Thanks again for taking a look and for your opinion.

Steve

Thomas Thomson, blacksmith/boilermaker, born c1820, Midlothian, married Elizabeth Glen, 1844. Children: Thomas(1844), George (1846), Alexander (1848), David (1851), James (1856), Elizabeth (1861).
Family probably from Leith, but Thomas snr worked in shipbuilding in Burntisland, Greenock, Durham, Hull, and Millwall/Poplar.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
There is an area of Edinburgh called Liberton - it is out beyond the King's Buildings of the University in the shadow of Braid Hills.  Spelling in 1841 was by no means set in stone.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1wycombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 06 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell,
I'm going to assume the widow Janet was from Liberton near Edinburgh, since everything points to that.
After all, the enumerator originally wrote Libberton, but this was crossed out and a "Y" written in, indicating Janet was born somewhere in Midlothian.
Thanks again for your interest.
Steve