Author Topic: South Hinksey parish records  (Read 4210 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
South Hinksey parish records
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 22:38 BST (UK) »
Are South Hinksey parishes registers available for on-line research or can anyone tell me where they are held.   My ancestor James Tasker was tried at the Berkshire Assizes in 1820 and his place of residence was listed as South Hinksey.  His native and birth places were given as Oxford City and Buckinghamshire so I don't know which one is right as I have been unable to find his birth or any marriage record. Can someone please help?        Juddee :)
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: South Hinksey parish records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 05 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juddee,
I went to the Berks Record office yesterday, and as promised yours was my first look up!

I'm sorry but I had no luck at all in finding your James Tasker. Here is a list of the searches I carried out for you the actual records are now held in Oxfordshire not in Berkshire but they did hold some transcriptions (which I used in my search)

T/R 162. South Hinksey St.Lawrence Berks.
Parish Registers - South Hinksey is a parish situated 2km south of Oxford.  Historically it lay in Hormer Hundred and Abingdon Poor Law Union formerly a chapely(sic) of Cumnor, the ecclesiastical parish was transferred to the archdeaconry of Oxford in 1915.  The Civil Parish was transferred to Oxfordshire in 1974 as as result of gov't reorganisation.
(This was the front page of this transcription record and I thought you might find it interesting?)
Transcript of Bishop Transcripts 1607 - 1693
     "              Parish Registers 1669 - 1924
I checked for any Tasker in parish - none found 1607-1820

(Lots of Sadler, Cooleing and Swadling!!)

Marriages - South Hinksey 1773 - 1825.
Looked for any Tasker, and any Tasker as a witness.  None found.

South Hinksey Burials Index - No Taskers

Marriages 1800 - 1835  Separate Index. - None Found

Sorry, but if you find any further information I would be happy to look again.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 05 12:41 GMT (UK) »
oops, forgot to post this information , I also checked North Hinksey for you - just in case

T/R 26 North Hinksey
1770 - 1801 Baptisms - No Taskers
1770- -1825 Marriages - No Taskers
T/R 31
Transcriptions North and S. Hinksey 1800 - 1812 Marriages - None found
T/R182 Marriages (Gap 1812-1818)
1770 - 1837 - None found
       "   Banns,  1775 - 1851  - None found.

Last in Book - Name Index !
No Taskers Baptisms or Marriages.
Banns 1758 - 1973
Marriages 1607-1702 B.T
Marriages 1703-1950 P.R.
Burials Index 1607-1702  BT
                      1703-1984 P.R.

Just so you know where I have checked.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Newbie

What can I say?  I am so appreciative for the time and effort you put into trying to trace my elusive James.  I am sorry for your sake that you were unable to find anything but the front page transcription was very interesting as you said.

I was contacted by Carol (my live one!!!!) late last night, Oz time, and from what she has given me,  it looks like the family may have originated in Broughton Buckinghamshire, which is about 3 miles from Aylesbury.   At this stage I'm not sure if the info has been double checked or if it has come from the IGI records.  I'll be in contact with her again in the next couple of days and ask.

Thank you is not enough for what you did .....but a big

THANK YOU [/color]
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />