Author Topic: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?  (Read 49807 times)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest mystery in your tree?
« Reply #81 on: Monday 23 June 08 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    mine greatest mystery is my great uncle Otho Desse Greaves. He got married to my great aunt Rhoda Alberta isaac on the 26th March 1895 at St Pauls Church Princes Park in Liverpool. They had a son Herbert Albert in 1896. My great aunt is living with her parents and son Herbert in the 1901 census for Toxteth Park at 21 Arthur Street but there is no Otho residing with them. I haven`t been able to find a birth or death for Otho.His father according to the marriage cert was Anthony a postmaster. Otho was stated to be a mariner. Maybe the sharks got him?

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline muppetprincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 23 June 08 03:28 BST (UK) »
My greatest mystery is my paternal Grandmother's grandparents. On her 99th birthday, she told me her grandfather was a Swedish seaman! I was unable to pursue the matter because my Father (who didn't like to hear about, or talk about family) interrupted.
I set out to find as much as I could.
Her grandfather was William Nickolas, and, on his daughter's marriage certificate, he is noted as born "Sweden, near Stockholm". He was a mariner.
Her grandmother was Mary Chapman, born London.
I purchased what I thought was their marriage cert from NSW BMD, and there is NO information on it at all! No parents' names, just their addresses before marriage. Useless!
I found, on NSW BDM indexes, the death certs. I ordered William's.  The informant was his wife, Mary. She stated that his mother was Christina, and he was born near Stockholm. he was now a storeman. BUT, it also states that there was "no issue" in  the names of children column. I thought, oh no! There must be some mistake, as their daughter, Mary Jane, has siblings according to the indexes.
I purchased Mary (ne Chapman) Nickolas' death cert, and it states the same info- no issue!
Darn! Is this really my family?? Well, there are some clues on the death certs.  On both certs, one of the witnesses to the burials is J Sparks.  Mary Jane married George Sparks; since she shared her mother's name, maybe she was called Jane by the Family?? it is a coincidence.
Then, the final straw for me as to believing that they are mine.  My grandmother had an older sister who died as an infant.  I had no idea of her existence until I found her on the indexes.  I sent for her death cert, and found a wealth of info.  She was born at Forrest Lodge, Glebe.  William and Mary were living at Forrest Lodge at the time of their deaths.
So, I've decided that:
1. In Sydney in the 1860's, how many William Nickolases, and Mary Chapmans would there have been amongst a population of ~350,000?
2. Who married each other?
3. Who's daughter's married name was the same as the surname of one of the witnesses to their burials?
4. Who lived in the same place as a child (reputedly their grandchild) was born?
I'm claiming them as mine, but they are "pencilled in" to the tree. I visited William's grave and had a chat to him about being so shy and difficult to find. I asked him for some help, and it was after that that I got the baby's cert, and found that the pub his wife worked in still exists in Sydney. Spooky.
Muppetprincess
Buchan, Duthie, Jack, Monro- Aberdeen
Jardine- Dumfries, Cooma (NSW)
Cochrane- Scotland
Sparks- Norfolk, Young (NSW), South Australia
Liddiard- Wiltshire
Dellow- Hertfordshire
Ford- Ireland
McKechnie-South Australia, & ?Scotland??

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 23 June 08 03:55 BST (UK) »
My grandmother...Mary McBride was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ........however she lived most of her life in either Ireland or Scotland.......she was born in 1890 to a John McBride,Iron Moulder and Annie Murphy.

Annie died at the birth of her daughter Mary and John shipped his baby daughter back to Ireland to be raised by relatives. I've always wondered who took my Grandmother back to Ireland...it certainly wasn't her dad. He went off to the gold fields on the west coast of the US and probably ultimately north to Canada and maybe Alaska. Who knows  :-\ My much older brother told me this bit of family lore and well.... :P

My Grandmother did return to the US in 1904 accompanied by her aunt...John McBride's sister...apparently according to the passenger list I found them on to visit her father but she didn't stay....she went back to the UK where she ultimately married my Grandfather in Glasgow.

John McBride...who are you and where did you go  ??? I have no idea when he was born or where in Ireland .......and there are unfortunately too many John McBrides in Philadelphia in the time period I'm looking at....and worst of all if the 1890 census hadn't been destroyed by fire I would have my answers  :'(  Drat  :P

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 23 June 08 08:16 BST (UK) »
Mine would probably be my two unknown great great grandfathers.

One was my maternal grandfathers paternal grandfather, who was probably in Leyland in the 1901 Census, as that is around the time my great grandfather James Marshall McKenna was conceived. His mother married in Preston in 1908, but not to James' father (She married a Thurston Watkinson, who was only around 15 years old in 1901). His middle name isn't a clue as it is a family name and other relatives of James had it as a middle name.

Another was my maternal grandmothers maternal grandfather, who could have been from anywhere. Elizabeth Alice Moxham was born in 1897 in Preston, but there is no trace of a father. Her cousin was born a few years later also out of wedlock, but his middle name was his fathers surname and his parents did eventually marry.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 07 July 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
Mine is Martin McDonnell - on the 1911 census in Dublin as cousin of Andrew Breslin.
He married in 1924 aged 50, and several relatives remember meeting him, but no-one can remember which side of the family he's attached to!
I haven't found his birth, and there are too many (male) unnamed McDonnells/McDonalds etc born around 1870-1880 .. I couldn't afford to check each one. Nothing so far in Dublin Parish registers ...

yours in deep frustration for several years!!
eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline SueD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 07 July 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
I have a few but one I suspect that will never be solved is: who was my 5x great-grandfather William Jones, Private in the Royal Marines, who married Sarah Berry 5 Nov 1813 in East Stonehouse, Devon?

There are a few tantalising clues eg. a daughter was name Johanna Pritchard Jones which hints at a Welsh connection.

He settled in Lostwithiel, Cornwall as did a Robert Jones & both families had daughters named Science. Annoyingly both Robert & William died before the 1851 census (I just call that inconsiderate ;))
A'Lee, Jay, Hender, Pointer, Wilton, Symons, Glover, Tonkin (All in Cornwall)

Glover (North Devon especially Woolsery)

Dent, Snowdon, (Haltwhistle, Northumberland & Sunderland Durham)

Jetson (Haltwhistle, Northumberland)

Olsson/Olson/Olsen (Hällaryd, Blekinge, Sweden & Sunderland Durham)

Quaintrell, Levoir, Cutter, McCarthy (All in London)

Offline Pilgarlic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
My biggest mystery is my GGG Grandad John Edey.

The censuses of 1851/61 have him born in 1783, in Shropley and Tapley,  Hampshire.

There is neither a Shropley or Tapley in Hampshire !   :-\

Pilgarlic

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 01 August 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
There seems to have been a lot of missing persons.

My mystery surrounds Agnes Margaretta Heaney, my grandfather's sister.
Aggie went Christmas shopping 22 December 1922 in Chatham, Ontario. She never returned to her home in Thamesville & hadn't been seen or heard from after that.
Kent police conducted a full investigation & went so far as to send a detective to Ireland to question relatives if she had returned. Family & friends were shocked & all replied they had not heard from her.

You can imagine the pain & confusion suffered by her children. I think it wouldn't have been so bad if a body had been recovered as you heal over time at a death, but to never know definitely what happened still weighs heavily on the family.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 01 August 08 19:09 BST (UK) »
The biggest mystery to me is how do these people, who research back to 1066, manage to find all the relatives in between without (it appears) a hitch.
It baffles me.

Seriously, it is a mystery when you find a single woman ancestor who gave birth and no father is named on the off-spring's birth certificate / marriage certificate. It's sad to think they had to hush it up and it leaves an empty void in your tree. Sometimes it makes you wish you could go back in a time machine and ask them, "who was the father?".

happy hunting, I hope some of our mysteries reveal their answers soon, sometimes they just do!

8) ;)