Author Topic: GARLAND & PARKER  (Read 3816 times)

Offline JohninAus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Garland & Parker
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 July 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Started looking for Harriets parents...IGI Batch C026071 for Caistor baptisms finishes in 1787, and I don't think there's a batch for marriages (haven't chacked IGI itself).

Westwold Deanery marriages has two Farr marriages in Caistor around Harriets presumed birth date:

Thomas Farr- Dorothy Forster 19 Nov 1827 

John Farr - Margaret Shearsmith 7 May 1834

Dorothy is a useful name coincidence and in 1841 Dorothy ,50, Ind, is in Caistor with no husband, but a Sophia, 25, which is a second name coincidence.

Geoff may see more in BVRI.

John
LINCOLNSHIRE: Sergeant, Dent, Watts, Fussey, Portas, Middleton, Bullivant, Howson, Lingard, Arliss, Laceby, Holtby, Lamb, Host, Stark, Hicks, Cuthbert, West. DEVON: Parkhouse, Brace, Mullins, Luxton,Cook ,Nicholls, Ley
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 July 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
1841 census has this

Caistor
John FARR 30 AgLab
Harriett** 25
Harriett 8
George 6
Henry 4
James 3
Sophia 7m
All born Lincs

BIVRI has baptisms of these children of John and Margaret at Caistor

1834 George
1837 Henry
1840 Sophia
1845 John
1847 Charles
1850 Eliza

**I would assume that the mother's name "Harriett" was wrong.  John's wife was Margaret in 1851.

Make of this what you will ...

Harriet SHEARSMITH 22 March 1832 daughter of Susan.

Harriett FARR 18 was a servant (away from home) in 1851.

Offline bozzwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 July 06 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

The first part makes a lot of sense.

John and Harriet Farr would be the parents of Harriet Parker (nee Farr ) Her year of birth was 1833, which would have made her 8 yrs. old in 1841.

The second part, with John and Margaret Farr and the baptisms of their children are probably relatives of John and Harriet Farr ,I think!!!

Checking the different censuses, there were a lot of ("Farrs') in Caistor around the same ages.

I could ofcourse be wrong, but that's my theory.

I would value your opinion.

Bozzwell

Offline bozzwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FARR
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 July 06 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi John and Geoff,

I've now got back to the parents of Harriet Farr ------
 ( thanks to the help I've received) John Farr, born 1811 and his wife Harriet ------.

Have you got any ideas on Harriets maiden surname?

Bozzwell

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 July 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
Gilliatts Yard, Caistor
John FARR 42 Carter
Margaret 39
James 12
Sophia 10
Mary 9
John 6
Charles 3
Eliza 1
All born Caistor

As I see it, this is the same family as the one I found in 1841.  Normally, I would say that perhaps Harriett/Margaret (mother) had died and John had remarried ... however, all of the baptisms are children of John and Margaret - almost the only one not accounted for is Harriet.  JohninAus found a marriage to a Margaret SHEARSMITH in 1834 - after the birth of Harriet SHEARSMITH in 1832.  Harriet SHEARSMITH doesn't appear to be on the 1841 census.

If Margaret and Susan SHEARSMITH were different people, I can't explain what happened to Susan ... no bap, no marriage, no burial, not on 1841 census.

NB: John FARR married Margaret SHEARSMITH only 11 days before the baptism of son George.

Offline bozzwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 July 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

On the 1841 census, the DOB for Harriet Farr was
1833.Could it be that she was the only child of John and Harriet Farr?
 You said that John Farr married Margaret Shearsmith only 11 days before the baptism of their son George. Therefore, I suppose all the other children would be their children!!!
Please let me know what you think.
Bozzwell

Offline JohninAus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 July 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Bozz

I've done similar searches to Geoff , and you'll have to go to parish records to resolve this.

Geoff's inference is that Harriet was the daughter of the mysterious Susan Shearsmith, who probably died in the mid 1830's leaving Harriet to be brought up by by Susan's sister Margaret , who had married John Farr in 1834.

You should order Harriet's marriage cert (to John Colley Parker in Hull district Q3 1852, ref 9d 289) , which should show her father's name...but we're guessing it won't, because she was born out of wedlock.

John
LINCOLNSHIRE: Sergeant, Dent, Watts, Fussey, Portas, Middleton, Bullivant, Howson, Lingard, Arliss, Laceby, Holtby, Lamb, Host, Stark, Hicks, Cuthbert, West. DEVON: Parkhouse, Brace, Mullins, Luxton,Cook ,Nicholls, Ley